• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the worst Hotel, B&B, Flat, Shared Room, Home Share you have ever?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current share in Zurich not going too well.

Apartment is nice, but flat mate has 2Lt of red wine with her dinner!

5 more weeks.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Stayed in a B&B in Kingston Surrey, can't remember the name now, Hermes, perhaps.

My boss and I (in separate rooms) had a snail each by the window in the morning, drafts to make the Arctic seem pleasant. Nasty wood chip, old building.

Could really have done with a make over, was convenient for work andright by the river which was nice for a beer in the evening.

edit : yes it was the Hermes Hotel.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Sporting Lodge in Bradford.

Even had a retro tv cabinet and VHS tape player in each bedroom.

The smell of damp was as overpowering as the mould on the bathroom ceiling.

It had a health club, a cat swinging pool which the locals on their £15 a month membership used as their local bath. Literally.

Even the Northern Networks guys shunned the place.

It has since been closed down – Etap is much more preferable.

Comment

That reminds me of a place I stayed in when we went to the NEC recently(I forget the name of the small town just down the road from it)

We arrived late, tried a couple of places and they were all full. Then one bloke said, don't try the XXXX they've just been fined for Health & Safety. They found a rat in the kitchen.

We went down there and got it for £30. Next morning they bought a full cooked breakfast from said kitchen. Talk one mouthful and the bacon tasted off, so we pissed off down a cafe instead!
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Ibis opposite Legs 11 strip bar in Birmingham.
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I stayed in a room that had a shower but no toilet, and when I turned on the shower, I was met with an overpowering smell of wee and a somewhat diminished desire to shower or sleep near the wee encrusted carpet. Hotels are hideous places of filth, designed to part you from your money and good health. And that's just the good ones. Have you ever spoken to a hotel cleaner you know who works in one those miserable places? Those stories would chill your spine, or at least make you think twice about using room crockery. You lot should try camping.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I stayed in a room that had a shower but no toilet, and when I turned on the shower, I was met with an overpowering smell of wee and a somewhat diminished desire to shower or sleep near the wee encrusted carpet. Hotels are hideous places of filth, designed to part you from your money and good health. And that's just the good ones. Have you ever spoken to a hotel cleaner you know who works in one those miserable places? Those stories would chill your spine, or at least make you think twice about using room crockery. You lot should try camping.
                WHS.

Hotels in the UK are revolting ripoffs. Even the £200 a night ones are on the whole revolting, dirty and cramped.

PS. I've always found it very easy to find contracts within an easy commute of home so have never had to stay away and they'd have to pay me £2K a day to do it.

Comment

Is there such a concept as a Homestay in the UK.

While travelling in Asia came across these a few times.

It allows visitors to rent a room from a local family for a period of time. The bigger ones I stayed in though, were more like a combination of room, B&B and house share. Lots of rooms, communal kitchen and tv room, use of the washing machine(or cheap maids in some places). Because you booked for a fixed time, it meant you could leave your stuff over a weekend, the room would get cleaned weekly etc.

Does anything like that exist in the UK? Be fantastic for contractors.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Etap in Annemasse - dirty, stunk of cigs and on the outskirts of feck all!

Actually - it was le cenecle in Geneva. Some place owned by the Catholic church. For £50 you got a single bed in a bare room, no carpet, just lino, a table and plastic chair and a sink. All the bathrooms were shared - No telly! But they did throw in breakfast - bread and jam

I woke up one morning to hear the sound of a guitar, and a load of happy clappy people singing Kumbaya - that was the last night I stayed there
                    Last edited by BoredBloke; 1 October 2010, 09:16.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Plan b

Buy up some wasteland in London and build a caravan park full of log cabins and or static caravans, the sort of thing you see by the coast.

Would make a fortune with visitors and IT contractor types needing to stay in London.

I know I'd rather stay in one of these than a hotel or B&B.

Comment

Working...
                      X