• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What price athletics? Global superpower my ****

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Insular, moi?
    Don't make me laugh, I've travelled all over the world - in my youth with no money. Like you I've lived with the poorest.

You misunderstand my point. Alf W is implying that India cannot be a superpower because of the way it treats its poor. My point is that superpowers have always treated their poor badly (remember the US reponse to Katrina?). I'm not making a moral judgement about that, it's just how it is - and probably how it will always be.
    Fair enough. Don't let me misunderstand you again!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

*cough* *splutter*

Superpower indeed...

A GRANDMOTHER facing eviction for Glasgow’s Commonwealth Games last night pleaded with Alex Salmond to save her home.

Margaret Jaconelli issued an emotional appeal to the First Minister after he backed council chiefs who ruled she should get £30,000 compensation for her lost home.

Mr Salmond was yesterday quizzed over Glasgow City Council’s handling of the affair after the Scottish Daily Express told how he had washed his hands of the local authority’s use of SNP laws. Mrs Jaconelli is now awaiting an appeal hearing to stop the council from handing over her two bedroomed flat to contractors building the athletes’ village.

But rivals accused Mr Salmond of showing a lack of sympathy to the 52-year-old after announcing that the “proper processes” were being followed to evict her from her home in Dalmarnock, Glasgow. The grandmother-of-four lost a legal case at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Tuesday and is now facing being forcibly removed under the Scottish Government’s Commonwealth Games legislation.

Mrs Jaconelli believes that she has been “trampled over” by Glasgow City Council which has offered her just a fraction of the property’s independent valuation of £95,000.

It emerged yesterday that developers had shared £16million for land in Glasgow earmarked for Commonwealth Games sites.

A public inquiry into Mrs Jaconelli’s case was ruled out by Scottish ministers last year.

Mrs Jaconelli, who lives with husband Jack, also 52, said: “Scottish ministers should come in and do the right thing,
      the decent thing.
      Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Salmond turns deaf ear to evicted gran’s pleas

Comment

Working...
      X