• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Other side of the desk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Black pepper is also nice
    Or lemon basil.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I feel an "open letter" coming on
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Comment

1. What did you do
          2. When
          3. What were your successes

SY01
          What did you do: Read the fecking cv
          When: Read the fecking cv
          What were your successes: avoiding fookwits like you in any of my contracts

& why does it take 3 of you to interview - is it because 3 bedwetters could just about equal one person able to make a sound judgement?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

WGAS, lookatmeeeeeeeeee!, stabbity stab, bedwetter, god help us!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              WGAS, lookatmeeeeeeeeee!, stabbity stab, bedwetter, god help us!
              Sorry about that. Thought I was updating the tag cloud! :
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You could try my strawberry sauce recipe, for those really sweet strawberries fresh from the garden;

1 tbsp treacle
                1 tbsp Irish whiskey
                1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar;

Mix well, sprinkle on strawberries.

Comment

ClientCo is currently hiring for a BA. The rate is crap and they have procured the CVs already. Just piling through them and it's interesting to see the broad state of contractors' CVs at the lower rate end of the spectrum. I am on a panel of 3 reviewing and interviewing.

The common problems are (believe it or not)
                  • Poor spelling and typos
                  • Poor grammar
                  • Poor layout (one cv had no headings and the whole document was in the same size font, no bold or italicised text - gave me a headache trying to scan for important info like dates, roles held etc.
                  • Agency cover sheets. (Hard to see where the cover sheet ends and the cv starts. Also spelling mistakes on the cover sheet do not set the scene well, have to consciously put that to one side and try and whittle out the CV)

And in very general terms, just getting the basic information like, what did you do and when. I have lost count the number of times I read this morning "Working on a project that . . . " or "The project was to . . . ". It is good background information but what I need to know at a glance is

What did you do
                  When
                  What were your successes

Also if you list your skills without a profile or measure of strength it is more difficult to get a feel for where your strengths lie.

This is purely my first impressions of being on the other side of the desk, and I thought they might provide some food for thought for any benchees. I'll prolly get ripped by dodgy agent and the rest of you but this was posted in good faith and I hope it prompts a fruitful discussion.

SY01
                  I suggest you conclude that none of the CVs are any good, and that you recommend increasing the rate to attract a higher calibre of candidate

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    What did you do: Read the fecking cv
                    When: Read the fecking cv
                    What were your successes: avoiding fookwits like you in any of my contracts

& why does it take 3 of you to interview - is it because 3 bedwetters could just about equal one person able to make a sound judgement?
                    Troll, (you total utter fecking numbskull, arsewipe, cretinous, peabrained, stupid, moronic, dimwitted, tulipforbrained, numpty, hillbilly dullard) I'll keep this brief.

The point of the OP was this information is commonly not in the CV.

HTH BISDI

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Sorry about that. Thought I was updating the tag cloud! :
                      S'ok matey

Comment

Working...
                      X