• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British Isles 'worst place to live in Europe'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    What's the council tax like there?
    A multiple of 50.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      What's the council tax like there?
      Don't think they pay it... not when they have to pay for everything else. Not sure though, will have to ask my Da.

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      They could just average it out at 50 euros for anything, then save money on tricky calculations or small denomination notes.
      Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      A multiple of 50.
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        In Ireland you have to pay for everything!!

Want to see the Dr - €50 please.

Want a prescription? €50 please.

Need an x-ray - that'll be €100 please.

Had the fire brigade out for a Chimney fire - €150 please.

Want your bin collected - buy a tag at the newsagents for €12.50 and then it will be collected.
        and on and on and on...
        Is there a big fly-tipping problem in Ireland, or do people just pay it?
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
          Is there a big fly-tipping problem in Ireland, or do people just pay it?
          People just pay it generally - no major fly tipping issue round my home town.
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I admit that if I won the lottery, I'd buy a place in Europe, but life in the UK isn't that bad at all. Just avoid youngsters (whether they be street kids or students).
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
              I admit that if I won the lottery, I'd buy a place in Europe, but life in the UK isn't that bad at all. Just avoid youngsters (whether they be street kids or students).
              Even if I won the Lottery I'd still stay in Blighty. Have lived and worked in quite a few places in Europe. Germany, Sweden, Belgium, Holland, Ireland, Poland, and Italy. All have various things to offer and all have things that Britain does not have. However, for all round satisfaction Britain still does it for me. Obviously that is dependant on where in Britain you choose, but it is hard to go too far wrong down here in Devon. That'll do for me.

Besides, I know Troll would be gutted if I left!

Last edited by shaunbhoy; 13 November 2010, 11:18.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Even if I won the Lottery I'd still stay in Blighty. Have lived and worked in quite a few places in Europe, Germany, Sweden, Belgium, Holland, Ireland, Poland, and Italy. All have various things to offer and all have things that Britain does not have. However, for all round satisfaction Britain still does it for me. Obviously that is dependant on where in Britain you choose, but it is hard to go too far wrong down here in Devon. That'll do for me.

Besides, I know Troll would be gutted if I left!

I'm more of a city person, but I agree Devon is beautiful. Some of the coastline is tremendous.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

The British Isles are the worst place to live in Europe, according to a new survey that claims residents endure higher prices, work harder and receive poorer public services than their counterparts on the continent.
                  Well having lived in Berlin for most of the year I can vouch that,

housing, yeah that was cheaper - 1000 euro for 130 square metres fully furnished no other bills to pay.

Working week 35 to 38 hours on average

Public transport, you kidding, your not more than a five minute walk from an underground stop anywhere in Berlin. Then there's the S-bahn, the regional service, the trams.. etc etc. Oh 5 euros gets you on all services all of the day.

I'm glad to be back home for the winter though, no place like it, just as long as I'm keeping my taxes to a minimum here.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    Don't think they pay it... not when they have to pay for everything else. Not sure though, will have to ask my Da.
                    Talking to a Dublin taxi driver last week, there is, I understand, no property/local tax. But the govt are talking about introducing one.

Comment

Yay, we're number one!!

But if we do have the 'worst place to live in Eurpoe' then why do so many people cross many other 'nicer' European countries to try to get into Britain?
                      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                      X