• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary Being Paid To HMRC - Who Then Pass On What You Are Due

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given that Income Tax was originally introduced to finance the Napoleonic Wars - isnt it Time to put and end to Income Tax and this Social Engineering ?

Now that would be a reallly interesting debate .

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
      Given that Income Tax was originally introduced to finance the Napoleonic Wars - isnt it Time to put and end to Income Tax and this Social Engineering ?

I read the manifesto of the Raving Monster Loony Party a while back (purely for fun you understand...), and I had to admit that they had some jolly decent plans with regard to their future government. I recall it included something along ther lines of "no income tax - you keep everything because we think you will do a better job of spending it than we will".

Then we got Gordon Brown and the alternative loony party made it to Downing Street.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post

Yeah but just remember that in the past we also paid tithes.

My Uncle wrote a book about the "Lay Subsidies" of 1290 to 1332, that was a long time before the Napoleonic Wars. In his book he mentions that it was "Edward I" who introduced the tax to pay for his wars after he conquered the Welsh, to fund his campaign against the Scots and French.
        Last edited by SupremeSpod; 21 September 2010, 11:12.

Comment

Best part of the article: Emma Boon, Campaign Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Soup kitchens, that's the answer.

You pay everything to HMRC & they give you soup in return.
            That would be great, except it's HMRC we're talking about. They would not give you any soup for 6 months, then come round with a paddling pool full of soup. "But that's too much soup!" you would say.
            "No, we are committed to giving everybody The Right Amount Of Soup and this is The Right Amount Of Soup," they would say.
            Then they'd be back a year later with the stomach pump to reclaim it.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddo View Post
              I read the manifesto of the Raving Monster Loony Party a while back (purely for fun you understand...), and I had to admit that they had some jolly decent plans with regard to their future government. I recall it included something along ther lines of "no income tax - you keep everything because we think you will do a better job of spending it than we will".

Then we got Gordon Brown and the alternative loony party made it to Downing Street.

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

So let's see...millions transferred to the HMRC bank account, It takes three days and the banks make a few million. The computers then crunch for a day and put £5 into everyone's accounts which takes three days and the banks make a few million. During which time many people will go over overdraft limits and pay the banks millions.

another win win win for the Banks and EDS I reckon.

I'll start using cash now.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Soup kitchens, that's the answer.

You pay everything to HMRC & they give you soup in return.

That orange lentil soup.

Yum.
                  <Cue> The Soup Dragon sockie
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    Yeah but just remember that in the past we also paid tithes.

My Uncle wrote a book about the "Lay Subsidies" of 1290 to 1332, that was a long time before the Napoleonic Wars. In his book he mentions that it was "Edward I" who introduced the tax to pay for his wars after he conquered the Welsh, to fund his campaign against the Scots and French.
                    Yep. Tithes (a tenth) to the church and taxes as well in one form or another. I could dig up a biblical reference to paying taxes to Caesar if I could be bothered.

From, the OED (Yank version)

tithe
                    noun
                    one tenth of annual produce or earnings, formerly taken as a tax for the support of the church and clergy.
                    • (in certain religious denominations) a tenth of an individual's income pledged to the church.
                    • [in sing. ] archaic a tenth of a specified thing : he hadn't said a tithe of the prayers he knew.
                    verb [ trans. ]
                    pay or give as a tithe : he tithes 10 percent of his income to the church.
                    • historical subject to a tax of one tenth of income or produce.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      It's just words to appease the LibDem "left-of-Labour" rump. He knows it is a sh*te, illiberal idea that could never be implemented.

Doesn't he?
                      But the sh*te, illiberal Liberals are now part of the Coalition.

Thanks to the expenses scandal we all know how crooked our MP's are. So who is Nick Clegg the independently wealthy son of multi-millionaire non domiciled Bankster, to lecture anyone?

One more public schoolboy on the Hate list for me.

“No man in this country is under the least obligation, moral or otherwise, so as to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his store.”

Lord Clyde, quote from a judgment given in 1929

Theres a quote for you Cleggy boy!

Comment

Working...
                      X