• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Second Contract In Finance - My Thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    One of my last contracts back in the last century, I had to go into the server room with one of the PMs and an Ops guy to find out what was wrong with the server running our app. We misread the location and opened up a cabinet to find a rack of old IBM ATs. Half of 'em had died. There was a modem that looked like it go some infrequent traffic. There was no indication of what they were for. Ops guy say, "Frack knows what they are. Anyway, no my problem" and locks the cabinet up again.

There was no interest in finding out what they were for. They could still be there.
    What a coincidence! I talked to a chap in a restaurant in Cannes having pointed him in the direction of a car park where he could safely store his Aston; said he'd retired to the Riviera having been an Ops man in an IBM server room. Glad to clear that one up!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I found a document that described a core module in a large pension provider as...

"written in the 60s and 70s"
      "unable to be rewritten as nobody knows how it works"

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I found a document that described a core module in a large pension provider as...

"written in the 60s and 70s"
        "unable to be rewritten as nobody knows how it works"
        I have a little theory that the next major banking crisis could be a software crisis; bank loses tulipload of money in a system nobody knows or understands; back-ups fail due to untested rollback mechanisms; major tulip hits banking system. World blames 'software experts' when tulip hits the fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I have a little theory that the next major banking crisis could be a software crisis; bank loses tulipload of money in a system nobody knows or understands; back-ups fail due to untested rollback mechanisms; major tulip hits banking system. World blames 'software experts' when tulip hits the fan.
          By which point the only people in the business are the Bob's so it will all be their fault.

Equally, all the skills that the west had would have gone so it the banks will be stuck with the Bob's even though they caused it.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

The best one is...

"can you check if that value is correct"

"well what is the calculation?"

"we don't know, can you not look in the program and see what it is meant to be doing?"

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              By which point the only people in the business are the Bob's so it will all be their fault.

Equally, all the skills that the west had would have gone so it the banks will be stuck with the Bob's even though they caused it.
              To be fair on the Bobs, I´d sooner blame the senior management chappy at a major bank who said to me ´don´t bother testing it; testing´s a waste of time and money'.

Comment

The best one is...

"we don't know, can you not look in the program and see what it is meant to be doing?"
                unless you can invoice them for reverse engineering, but that'll be tough if you only have binaries.

I was once in a team that was asked to take a look at the code in a banking system to see what was going wrong with some orders it sent to the markets. We said 'sure, just show us the source code and we'll take a look', to which the response was 'erm, source code; what...?'

Comment

The best one is...

I had a job like that once, but sadly not in banking.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    I had a job like that once, but sadly not in banking.
                    I really hope it wasn't in aerospace or nuclear power...
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      I really hope it wasn't in aerospace or nuclear power...
                      *cough*
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X