• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

... and you think you rate isn't enough!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why?
    The stated reason is 'copyright issues' - but IIRC the online engineers blog rambles on about working practices and client confidence. TBH I didn't really read much of it on my way to finding the video.

Comment

I heard about this. He gets to the top and then goes! Bollocks! Wrong tower!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        Did you get involved with rigging stuff like that or did they keep you in the truck twiddling dials?
        Generally stayed in a purpose-built repair vehicle fixing things, after the knob-twiddlers had broken them. Have done a little bit of mast work in my latest role, but only as an occasional climber. Realised that my "comfort ceiling" is about 1700 feet lower than the guys in the video.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Why not design the top of the tower to be lowered down through the core of the main tower. Maintenance then can be done at a lower level.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Why not design the top of the tower to be lowered down through the core of the main tower. Maintenance then can be done at a lower level.
            Too expensive. Much cheaper to just get a new rigger if you break one.

http://www.mds975.co.uk/txmaps/peterboroughmast.html

Stray fireworks apparently!!
            Last edited by shaunbhoy; 17 September 2010, 11:55.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Realised that my "comfort ceiling" is about 1700 feet lower than the guys in the video.
              This is the highest steep drop I've encountered - Pulpit Rock in Norway at 1982 feet. I didn't dare go near the edge. The sunbathers are obviously nutters...

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                This is the highest steep drop I've encountered - Pulpit Rock in Norway at 1982 feet. I didn't dare go near the edge. The sunbathers are obviously nutters...

Yeah, that is one hell of a freaky place.

Comment

I remember a trip to Dubai in 1994 when they were still constructing one of the Etisalat Buildings (Not sure which one!).
                  The construction workers would have a siesta in the afternoon and would happily snooze only a few feet away from the unfinished building edges. Nutters!!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    I remember a trip to Dubai in 1994 when they were still constructing one of the Etisalat Buildings (Not sure which one!).
                    The construction workers would have a siesta in the afternoon and would happily snooze only a few feet away from the unfinished building edges. Nutters!!
                    We were there this year and saw the Burj Khalifa, now that is tall.

Comment

Scary scary stuff - I just couldn't do that - one thing I noticed was there were a couple of times when climbing he appeared to have let go with both hands and pushed up with just legs....fook that
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X