• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Battle of Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    And some baddies music:
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      In reality, our fighter pilots were generally advised to steer clear of dogfights with the Jerry fighters, and concentrate their efforts on the bombers.
      Strategically, it was an immensely pragmatic and sensible course of action, as we could not afford the losses that the numerically superior Luftwaffe could have endured.
      Not sure the Battle of Britain is always depicted this accurately, but I suppose "What the Heck? We won so we will decide how it all panned out!!"

the art of war is sheer bloody murder, not heroics.

get ten of us onto one of him. he doesnt stand a chance. - tactics.

ten of them catch one of us, blow him to bits - what a hero

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

There is a scene in the film 'Battle of Britain' where the bomb bay doors open showing East London.

Although I had watched the film many time in the past, one day in my thirties it struck home when I thought, "Frack, my mum and dad are down there. Frack, so is my house"

I am in my fifties and I grew up seeing the remnants of the destruction and the stories my elders told.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          The old guard came out in the 70s for the entierro of Sr Bahamunde (Franco)

It may have been pretty grim if the wrong side had won WWII (constant wars, concentration camps, Bavarian Oompah bands) but at least state funerals would have been impressive.

Wonder what Maggie's funeral is going to be like?
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I've been lucky enough to get stick time on a whole range of current and past military aircraft but never a Spitfire or Hurricane.

Maybe some day but I bow before all the guys who climbed into the cockpits of both types and who did a shift. Respect
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
              The old guard came out in the 70s for the entierro of Sr Bahamunde (Franco)

It may have been pretty grim if the wrong side had won WWII (constant wars, concentration camps, Bavarian Oompah bands) but at least state funerals would have been impressive.

genius. How can we compete with Bavarian oompa bands ???

Maggies own morris dancers
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                Dunno.

But there is going to be street parties, free beer, HD in pubs and public spaces when we execute B'Liar, Brown, et al.

Comment

Was it as good as Battle of Stalingrad, or Battle of Kursk?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Were they fought in the air?
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      maggies funeral ???

dunno, she's not dead yet

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                      X