• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the maximum load that I could put through a double socket?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    sorry, what were we talking about again ?
    Something to do with putting a load through a socket without blowing your girlfriend's ring...........I think.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Something to do with putting a load through a socket without blowing your girlfriend's ring...........I think.

phew! thank God

sometimes I fear that I am missing the point.

entirely

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        I just assumed that Minestrone had too many heaters and too many lights for his cannabis factory on one socket.

But each to their own I suppose.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

FWIW I know what I am talking about.

A ring main (that is a circuit that is looped) using 2.5mm twin an earth can carry up to 32 amps (depending on the route of the cable, distance of the run of cable, etc etc)

Anything that comes from a ring main, be it an extension lead or 4 gang, or chain of 4 gangs is considered to be a radial circuit. A radial circuit in normal twin an earth "can" carry up to 16 amps (again depending on the route of the cable, especially the cable's ability to disperse heat - which is why Zippy's cable when coiled caused problems. A radial circuit which is created from flexible cable should always carry a maximum of 13 amps.

Each 4 gang is fused at 13 amps, so multiple 4 gangs technically will never cause overload...
          However mutliple 4 gangs creakily chained together via multiple "cube adaptors" may cause arcing which is obviously not desirable.

If your home office is in need of a lot of amps then consider an electrician putting in a consumer unit for your office only. Then you can load up with impunity, also safe in the knowledge that your new installation will be protected by R.C.D. which is a good thing. Failing that, you are too big an enterprise for a home installation and should get a private office - something which I think most on here are not likely to be.

HTH
          Last edited by suityou01; 26 August 2010, 00:31.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            If the extension cable doesn't get warm it should be ok. Don't do what I did and run a fan heater via a coiled extension cable

IANAE
            Coiled extensions usually come with 2 max ratings, 1 for use when coiled, another for uncoiled.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              FWIW I know what I am talking about.

A ring main (that is a circuit that is looped) using 2.5mm twin an earth can carry up to 32 amps (depending on the route of the cable, distance of the run of cable, etc etc)

Anything that comes from a ring main, be it an extension lead or 4 gang, or chain of 4 gangs is considered to be a radial circuit. .

HTH
              Everyone knows that ring-mains are for door bells.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                No thanks. Tried that and didn't like it
                You can't "try" electrocution. Electrocuted=dead. You can try getting a shock.

Comment

Working...
                X