• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dirty Spekulant contracting in IB sector - no spekulanting? :(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I might have to get my spekulant broker and activities approved and vetted?

I can't close any positions before holding them for at least 30 days?

I have no interest in trading fundamentals and won't be trading during the day - but this could be bad for my filthy spculanting activities....

Anyone been in the same situation and can give a lowdown that's a bit clearer than the policy doc I've just been sent?
    Lordy, did I ever suffer from this. It was when all this was coming in. I had untold grief talking to compliance about it at on IB I was at. They had no understanding about the instruments they were making rules about.

How on Earth can one trade futures if the minimum holding is 30 days? The frackers expire FFS!

Anyway, the next role I had 'crossed over' and after that I've been proprietary so there is no compliance whatsoever.

Not that I'm advising you to do this, but I'd just keep positions small and my gob shut.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

Not that I'm advising you to do this, but I'd just keep positions small and my gob shut.
      This might be the solution
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

No - I want to stay within the rules and still trade
        You are trying to violate their spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          You are trying to violate their spirit.
          Not sure if I want to ask you to explain that one or just not bother..
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Not sure if I want to ask you to explain that one or just not bother..
            Do you understand the purpose of the rules that were put in place?

Comment

To prevent insider trading?

Comment

All IBs enforce that rule. It applies to your spouse as well (and I'm guessing your immediate family).
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Also to prevent conflicts of interest.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Also to prevent conflicts of interest.
                    Also to prevent the fall out of blowing your account up. Large losses can make people do desperate things.

One set of rules I came across include the condition "Absolutely no trading in derivatives".
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                      How on Earth can one trade futures if the minimum holding is 30 days? The frackers expire FFS!
                      You just need a very large shed.

Comment

Working...
                      X