• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government urged to reveal 'true' national debt of £4.8 trillion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    In fairness to Mr Brown he did not feck up pension system THAT much with his dividend run - it's the increased lifespan that does it, too generous final salary pensions that were not funded properly in the first place and general realiance on stock markets (that can crash) for support of this ponzi scheme.
    Never use "fair" and Brown in the same sentence please!

I agree with all what you say, up to a point Alexei: even Tory Lamont cast his greedy eye over the pension funds and tweaked the dividend tax credit back in '93.

However, it is agreed (backed up through an FOI) that despite the warnings given to him by his advisers, McRuin arrogantly cast, in the gaming parlance, the "crushing blow" to pensions in pursuit of supporting his spending sprees.

For this, he will not be forgiven.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
      However, it is agreed (backed up through an FOI) that despite the warnings given to him by his advisers, McRuin arrogantly cast, in the gaming parlance, the "crushing blow" to pensions in pursuit of supporting his spending sprees.
      I don't think it was a crushing blow - maybe last straw, but certainly not the root cause.

The problem of Brown is that he got more or less whole country into debt that will probably only hyperinflation can deal with. Given that pensions will need to be indexed this means it can become a spiral with one debt being devalued but other going up to make up for inflation.

It's no wonder one of the first things Con-Libs did was to use another measure of inflation from arsenal of flawed metrics that they have.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I don't think it was a crushing blow - maybe last straw, but certainly not the root cause.
        Maybe, but what sort of person in a position of authority knowing this would carry out the action regardless? What do we call people like that?
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          Maybe, but what sort of person in a position of authority knowing this would carry out the action regardless? What do we call people like that?
          Nu Liebor?

Comment

Working...
          X