• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To any Islamic fundamentalists who happen to be reading CUK…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I can drive a taxi and make a curry, Konnie Huq would be hot regardless of the religion she chose.

Come on there must be some??

Stupid question.
    Its arguable that any religion has contributed to Britain.
    Britain's (and the West's in general) prosperity and historical dominance is based on an early adoption of science and technology - religion had nothing to do with it.

Any country that adopts such a course become prosperous regardless of what superstitions they follow in private.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      How much would you charge to wash my car?
      You've got me there but the Muslims can't compete with the Poles round our way.

Funny enough there's a hand car wash near me that flies a union jack to advertise the fact it's manned by Brits, no-one goes there.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Stupid question.
        Its arguable that any religion has contributed to Britain.
        Britain's (and the West's in general) prosperity and historical dominance is based on an early adoption of science and technology - religion had nothing to do with it.

Any country that adopts such a course become prosperous regardless of what superstitions they follow in private.
        It is of course possible to debate the contribution of Islamic cultures to science, which I believe was quite significant. However, Persia's great scientific advances could possibly have occurred without Islam.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          You've got me there but the Muslims can't compete with the Poles round our way.
          Naked Polish chicks washing cars. That would get my money. If I had a car.

I might hire one just so I can get some naked Polish chicks to wash it.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Naked Polish chicks washing cars. That would get my money. If I had a car.

I might hire one just so I can get some naked Polish chicks to wash it.
            Forget the car, just pay the naked Polish chicks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              It is of course possible to debate the contribution of Islamic cultures to science, which I believe was quite significant. However, Persia's great scientific advances could possibly have occurred without Islam.
              I'm not sure that Islamic culture contributed much to the idea of the empirical scientific method which came to fruition during the Renaissance in Europe, and particularly in England, although Islamic culture certainly was more tolerant then and made significant contributions to spread learning round the world, most importantly the Indian concept of zero, without which much of maths and science would be difficult, if not impossible.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm not sure that Islamic culture contributed much to the idea of the empirical scientific method which came to fruition during the Renaissance in Europe, and particularly in England, although Islamic culture certainly was more tolerant then and made significant contributions to spread learning round the world, most importantly the Indian concept of zero, without which much of maths and science would be difficult, if not impossible.
                Algebra's come in quite handy too, but perhaps Al Khwarismi simply documented and codified existing Indian knowledge. Good job he did though.

Comment

Mathematics in medieval Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were actually quite busy.

Edit: Apparently they invented peer review as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic...entific_method
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Mathematics in medieval Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were actually quite busy.

Edit: Apparently they invented peer review as well.

Science in medieval Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    These things are cyclical. I'm sure Islamic culture will rise again. Meanwhile, the West with its growing belief in astrology, homeopathy, freemasonry and all manner of other hocus pocus as well as its short-termism in outsourcing technology expertise is beginning its own long dark night of the soul.
                    A few centuries from now will India and China be fighting some backward terrorists who come from an impoverished Europe, call themselves Christian and complain about how great they once were?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

These things are cyclical. I'm sure Islamic culture will rise again. Meanwhile, the West with its growing belief in astrology, homeopathy, freemasonry and all manner of other hocus pocus as well as its short-termism in outsourcing technology expertise is beginning its own long dark night of the soul.
                      See my sig.

Yes, Islamic culture could well rise again, but it seems embroiled in an existential battle between those who follow a literal reading and those who believe in figurative interpretation of the scriptures. As is Christianity; see the loons preaching in some evangelist churches. It's quite possible that Islam has a growing group of reformers, and a large number of literalists right now, while Christianity has a small but growing number of fundamentalists and a large but shrinking group of moderates. If that trend is true, you're going to be proven right.

Comment

Working...
                      X