• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you miss most...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing Doom on the corporate network at lunchtimes.

Colleagues nearby, in a different dept, just didn't get it.

Comment

The closest I ever got to perm was a week's work experience during school. I miss sorting the post. And enjoying a nice can of diet coke every lunchtime from the communal supply in the fridge, then finding out on the last day that it wasn't a communal supply, & someone was wondering where all their diet cokes had gone.

Comment

The 11 minute commute.

The easy life. Contracting is harder work. After a while in a permie job, you know everything and everyone there and it becomes routine and easy.

Compressed hours - can't beat finishing on a Thursday.

I'll never go back to permie life though...
        Back at the coal face

Comment

16 months gigging until mortgage paid off.
          Don't tempt fate.

Comment

£50 perdiems. In Budapest, back when it was hard work spending £50 a day in Budapest.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I only ever had one permie job.

I miss the roast pork baguettes, and the huge variety of underutilised computers coupled with a job that was basically "sit around until something happens" leaving one plenty of time to tinker.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                ...from your permie days?
                Having hair, being able to run and being free to chase women.
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Stag Cozier View Post
                  Having holidays and *ahem* sick days without giving a stuff and still getting paid
                  But even non-*ahem* sick days , i.e. real sick days, are worse now cos you have to be 10 times worse than when you were a perm AND you are losing £x00.

Lunchtime Doom and Quake was always good back in the day, running some dire 386 with no dedicated GPU (cos they barely existed then) with a window about an 8th of the screen in the middle to handle the graphics.

Fully expensed Christmas parties til 6a.m.

Developer conferences in Vegas followed by 2 weeks personal holiday at a mate's in NY, all flights at least business class, and paid for.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    Playing Doom on the corporate network at lunchtimes.

Colleagues nearby, in a different dept, just didn't get it.
                    Oh I forgot about Doom at lunchtimes. Yes, that was fun too

Comment

I miss Sue from accounts.

Comment

Working...
                      X