• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shares!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    120k in 20 yrs discounted to present value would worth significantly less than that, dividend income might be a small fraction of your living costs. Your figures exclude the potential growth of the shares though (including reinvesting dividends)
    If possible take your dividends in shares until you decide to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      If possible take your dividends in shares until you decide to retire.
      Good point, might be worth talking to an decent IFA SA
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Have a look on here: Fool.co.uk: Stock Investing Advice | Stock Research

I like this one: Ten Steps to Financial Freedom - The Motley Fool UK

If only my dad had the internet in 1971.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

ooh and don't buy Shares magazine, or you'd be bancrupt by now e.g they've tipped BP and Barclays, Lloyds etc. numerous times over the last few years...ouch!
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I'm investing my pension fund in fine wines.

If that goes tits up at least I'll be too pissed to care.

Comment

Skip the IFA, they are guessing too, if they know so much about what to do with money how come they ain't rich.
              You have to do your own research and at least raise your knowledge to a level where you realise how little you know ! This will make you cautious.
              Start with paying off debts, a mortgage is acceptable but by choice pay off over a reduced term or with chunks - this is likely to be the best investment decision you make, guaranteed return plus when it's paid off, all the cash goes to you - Not many IFA's suggest this - funny that..
              Presuming you have done this, you need to be looking at only a percentage of your reserves into the market, consider monthly contributions to LOW COST all-share tracker ISA (look up pound-cost averaging to find out why)
              Once this fund is ticking over consider an investment in a solid managed UK, european or US fund, this spreads the risk of exchange rate changes, even if the markets broadly track each other.
              Couple/few years down the line maybe consider some more exotic funds, S.E. Asia China, BRIC's, Latin America (maybe a few more years for this exotic)
              Consider some money in bonds for a fixed return for balance.
              Expert companies with hundreds doing research struggle to beat the general market, what chance do you think you have ?
              Spread the risk, look at the 150 funds HL have recommended and try to get rich....slowly and make sure you do it all in an ISA wrapper.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                I'm thinking 20 years @ £500 per month = £120,000 - is that enough for dividend payments to live off do you reckon?
                Take a look at the Motley Fool HYP boards - this might suit if you're thinking along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  ooh and don't buy Shares magazine, or you'd be bancrupt by now e.g they've tipped BP and Barclays, Lloyds etc. numerous times over the last few years...ouch!
                  ha ha - funnily enough I've bought a load of BP shares like
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                    ha ha - funnily enough I've bought a load of BP shares like
                    I dont blame you! I bought a load of shares in RBS when they were rock bottom. I got them at 10.5p and now they are in the region of 40-50p.

Comment

[QUOTE=lukemg;1173758] if they know so much about what to do with money how come they ain't rich./QUOTE]

Well this is my view too.

About 18 months ago I got an IFA out (recoemmended/pushed on me by accountant) and he was a right tool. Tried to sell me all sorts of sh*te. I backed out at the last minute, and I'm really pleased I did cause it was just as everything went t*ts up (how come he didn't see that coming if he was so fecking clever eh?)

So now I've just signed up with TD Waterhouse and I'm just keeping an eye on a few companies - who are all making money so far...

Buy low, sell high - that's all you have to do, right?
                      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                      X