• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The International Space Station

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A much younger AJPruffock worked with the first ISS team back in 92 -when the ISS was just an idea.

I was sent on mission to Moscow's Russian Space Agency (IKI) to deliver and configure an IBM 9370 system - this was to be a commmunications hub and medium mainframe for document exchange enginnering data emails etc for the Russian , ESA and NASA scientists .

Remember prior to this the Russian/Soviet Space scientists were very restricted as to whom they could communicate with - and the Web had not yet arrived ... sure we had the Internet but rather different from what its noeadays ...

With the political change from the Soviet Union to Russia this IBM kit was previoulsy restricited due to the ColdWar era potential for ballistics - (after learning Russian for six months) - I spent three amazing weeks in Moscow installing the IBM kit and training the admins and users.

My Word ! Was that really me - isn't Life Strange ?

To think how the ISS has now evolved - - and Alf - who is nobody special from nowhere really ... I am so very fortunate to have done my wee bit towards this amazing feat of International Co-operation and Space Technology.

Long Live the ISS.

PS Moscow girls really knock me out ...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 21 July 2010, 08:55.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
      PS Moscow girls really knock me out ...
      Right before they steal your wallet...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Alf,

did you ever visit the hungry duck ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          Alf,

Milan.
          It's shut now. Was never any good when I went there (c2008).

The Real McCoy in Barrikidnaya was much better, and more like the Duck's reputation of old.

Edit: Doug Steele is a nice guy though. He got hounded out of town about the time I was there. His steakhouse was awesome, but I'm not sure if that's there any more either.
          Last edited by Moscow Mule; 21 July 2010, 09:03.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Right before they steal your wallet...

..they leave the West Behind

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              Alf,

Milan.
              Hungry Duck - never heard of it ...

Well back then - when I was in Moscow they had just changed from the Soviet Union - there wasnt even a McDonalds to be seen - but I dont visit McDonalds anyway - so no loss there !

The International Space Station is a partnership of the US, Russian, European, Japanese, and Canadian Space Agencies.

The station has been continuously human occupied since Nov 2, 2000. Orbiting 16 times per day at 17,500 miles per hour 250 miles above the ground, it passes over 90% of the world’s surface.

When complete in 2010, it will weigh over 800,000 pounds and have a crew of 6 conducting research and preparing the way for future exploration to the moon and beyond.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/st...ain/index.html
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 21 July 2010, 09:06.

Comment

Working...
              X