• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wossy is gone!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    I thought that 'Tonight With Jonathan Ross' was simply awful, standards are even lower due to that show.

Being a film fan I could just about take 'Film 2009/10' with him on it - (bring back Barry Norman someone, if that Claudia Winkleman does that show I aint going to watch it.)

However, Wossy is brilliant when it comes to doing 'off the wall' documentaries, there was one he did on Japanese Culture which was great, I remember years and years ago he did one I think for Channel 4 about 'Americana' going around America looking at strange things, Ross did an amazing documentary on 'Steve Ditko' legendary comic book illustrator on the Golden age of Spiderman comic books - I was never into comics or Spiderman but it was an interesting doc.
    The Japanorama series was very good and have an interesting insight into the varied modern Japanese culture, he was also very respectful.

In general I got fed up with his many interviews starting with "I am a big fan". His chat show was all about him (bring back Parky)

I for one will not miss him.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      IIRC, it was the Express and the Mail that made out he was the victim of some heinous crime. He remained pretty quiet about it.
      Agreed but, to me, that all came across as staged as part of the innocent victim image he wanted to portray.

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
      I thought that 'Tonight With Jonathan Ross' was simply awful, standards are even lower due to that show.

Being a film fan I could just about take 'Film 2009/10' with him on it - (bring back Barry Norman someone, if that Claudia Winkleman does that show I aint going to watch it.)

However, Wossy is brilliant when it comes to doing 'off the wall' documentaries, there was one he did on Japanese Culture which was great, I remember years and years ago he did one I think for Channel 4 about 'Americana' going around America looking at strange things, Ross did an amazing documentary on 'Steve Ditko' legendary comic book illustrator on the Golden age of Spiderman comic books - I was never into comics or Spiderman but it was an interesting doc.
      I'm probably in the minority, but I think Ross is hugely talented.

When Parkinson retired, the press pegged Ross to be his natural successor a role he was more than able to fill if he wanted to.

He didn't want to go down the path of a serious interviewer something which confused the press (and me) but made sense in a recent interview where he says his aim, in any of his work, is to have fun.

However, the press being the sensationalists they are, turned on him and said he was an over paid, loud mouthed kid.

The docs you mention, Japanorama & In Search of Ditko, are excellent examples of his ability - something which the tabloids conveniently ignore.

Personally, I'm going to miss his show as he's the only interviewer in this media controlled age of publicists who takes the piss out of A-list stars and brings them down a peg or to - classic example @ 1:28.

Comment

Working...
      X