• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Concorde

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbus "inherited" Concorde, and it seemed they just couldn't accept having a flagship aircraft that was something they never designed as a company.

Instead, they wanted their showpiece aircraft to be the A380, something they created from scratch - and Concorde would get in the way of that.

The A380, while very nice, has hardly been a commercial bonanza though. It could be another decade before the project breaks even.

Comment

I remember in another life when I used to arrange visits for VIPs....

We were responsible for them until "wheels up" ie until the plane actually took off...
      If the flight aborted before take off we were still stuck with them but once it took off we we home free - even if it then turned round and came back....

For normal flights we sat in the Special Facilities Suite watching the ATC monitors to be updated until they had officially left.... then we could have a Wheels up drink before we went home...

With Concord we got our drinkie a few minutes early.... because when Concord took off the deafening din penetrated the SF Lounge and made the cups rattle so we didn't need to wait for ATC screens to update.....

I got to "go on" it several times including a quick visit to the cockpit (rather less security in those days)...... but not to fly in it unfortunately.

Comment

What was the name of the program?

Is it available on iplayer?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Concorde's Last Flight.

or something.

It was on CH4.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Flight of the Conchords - Shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              Airbus "inherited" Concorde, and it seemed they just couldn't accept having a flagship aircraft that was something they never designed as a company.

Instead, they wanted their showpiece aircraft to be the A380, something they created from scratch - and Concorde would get in the way of that.

The A380, while very nice, has hardly been a commercial bonanza though. It could be another decade before the project breaks even.
              The A380 is a mighty impressive beast though. My A320 taxied past two A380s and an A319 at Heathrow on Monday morning and they absolutely dwarfed the other planes.

I used to have a Concorde wallet, but don't know where it is these days.

Someone I used to work for bought his gran a flight on Concorde as an 80th birthday treat when they were taking them out of service - just a quick flight out over the ocean, hit top speed, then head back. She got tanked up in the lounge beforehand because it was free, had a couple of Scotch on the plane, fell asleep before take off, her false teeth fell out onto her lap, and she had to be woken by the stewardess after they landed. Money well spent
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Concorde's Last Flight.

or something.

It was on CH4.
                You can watch on 4od Concorde's Last Flight - 4oD - Channel 4

very interesting

Comment

Working...