• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    There is increasingly a dichotomy between top-level London property where demand is international and the rest of the British property market.

common sense

Going to move to new rented house and looks like I'll be paying like 50% more than currently

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

common sense

Going to move to new rented house and looks like I'll be paying like 50% more than currently
      Could you buy a similar property for less?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Could you buy a similar property for less?
        Not this year...

Comment

Dim is the new DCJ.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Well they can't bring interests rates much lower than the current 0.5% to keep house prices high.
            I wouldn't have put it past the last government to deliberately inflate the debt problem away but I would hope the current one don't see that as an option.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

common sense

Common sense has nothing to do with it.
              What part of supply and demand does your puny Soviet brain not understand?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Common sense has nothing to do with it.
                What part of supply and demand does your puny Soviet brain not understand?
                Transaction levels are still low though. With the BTL brigade about to get whacked I expect more properties to come on the market. More properties = less competition from buyers = lower prices. Even in London. Also consider that banks aren't lending unless you have a 10% deposit. Even relatively well paid young people cannot afford a starter home or have to stretch themselves to the limit to get a poxy flat. The housing market is a pyramid and if no-one can join the bottom then the middle can't move up so prices fall. As for foreign investors, well it may make a little difference in London but not enough to support quite possibly the biggest bubble this economy has ever seen. With stats out that wages are falling in our country there is no way that current house prices can be supported as far as I can see. We need massive wage inflation to sustain these prices and from what I can see this is not happening.

Comment

In the "international executive" market in London, i.e 3-4 bed detached in good areas, with an easy City commute, house inflation is in the double figures and will continue to be so.
                  There is increasingly a dichotomy between top-level London property where demand is international and the rest of the British property market.
                  Simply put there are not enough good houses in London to satisfy international demand.

Boomed!
                  Actually I agree with you for once.

I read that although 1000's of flats have been built in London over the last few years, something like 10 detached houses have been built in Central London over the same period.

If you own a detached house in Central London, you ain't ever going to lose money on it. Zero supply.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Zero supply.
                    Only because of negative rates (when inflation taken into account) - rates should have been at 7-10% right now, and this would have resulted in plenty of supply.

Sure good detached house in a good location will always cost more than carp terrace house in a carp location, that's normal and acceptable, what's not acceptable is that even carp house costs so much that one needs to be a millionaire to buy a proper sized house in Birmingham

A good house here is £500k+. Really nice are £750k. So, with 25% deposit one would need to pay upfront £125k and £187k in cash. Then you'd need to have salary of like £150k to get normal x3 mortgage: under these normal lending conditions such houses won't sell and their price will inevitably go down.

I am looking to move into a house of that level that I'll rent - £900-1000 per month, but say if I bought it for the ridiculous amount it is priced then interest only at 5% on mortgage would be 3 times more that number.
                    Last edited by AtW; 13 July 2010, 11:37.

Comment

Thanks for summarising todays MoneyWeek email. No need for me to read it now.

No wonder you never publicise your sources.
                      Beer
                      is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X