• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I see why Bob is taking the jobs. Dev work is eazy....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAB, I've spent the last couple of weeks parked on the bench studying and practicing with Mathematica.

It's amazing what version 7 can do, in the way of calculation, "visualization", and even interactive plots, although I dare say other packages can do some or all of these.

So, seriously, if you are contemplating any heavy duty numerical stuff, such as statistical analyses, or even differential equations, drop me a line.

(Not saying it's much practical use for finding a contract though - A Jobswerve search on "Mathematica" returned "not found - did you mean mathematics". )
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      HAB, I've spent the last couple of weeks parked on the bench studying and practicing with Mathematica.

It's amazing what version 7 can do, in the way of calculation, "visualization", and even interactive plots, although I dare say other packages can do some or all of these.

So, seriously, if you are contemplating any heavy duty numerical stuff, such as statistical analyses, or even differential equations, drop me a line.

(Not saying it's much practical use for finding a contract though - A Jobswerve search on "Mathematica" returned "not found - did you mean mathematics". )
      Why do you people insist on learning software that nobody has any commercial requirement for.

If you answer had said, I can analyse your Sales data to predict your quarterly forecast or I can produce a dynamic predictive model of product mix & margin, then you're in with a chance of a job. Otherwise you're just talking bollocks.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You'll find that Matlab is used a lot. I've used it in the past and I've got something down the line that will be using it.

R is used a lot too.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

There is a freeware near-clone of matlab called scilab if you want to play with it.

Home - Scilab WebSite

Mathematica is awesome. I haven't used a recent version of Maple (which was the system we had at uni), but from what I understand that's probably the only thing that comes close to Mathematica in terms of all round capabilities. They both have home editions for around £200 now, well worth the money if you are interested enough in maths to make use of it and willing to tackle the learning curve.

You will probably find matlab and mathcad more common in industry though.

Not that I know **** all about it.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I use Octave quite a lot, but that's only because that client would rather pay for a body to fill the gaps than buy MatLab.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I've used MatLab on a couple of simulation projects and to develop some DSP code.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Why do you people insist on learning software that nobody has any commercial requirement for.

If you answer had said, I can analyse your Sales data to predict your quarterly forecast or I can produce a dynamic predictive model of product mix & margin, then you're in with a chance of a job. Otherwise you're just talking bollocks.
                Or if your answer had been "I can analyse your data and then talk bollocks!", you might well have got a job with sasguru, delivering "suitable" data to the AGW fraternity.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  So, seriously, if you are contemplating any heavy duty numerical stuff, such as statistical analyses,

If you think you can produce valid statistical analyses after 2 weeks of studying Mathematica, you're sorely mistaken.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Or if your answer had been "I can analyse your data and then talk bollocks!", you might well have got a job with sasguru, delivering "suitable" data to the AGW fraternity.

When you have the faintest idea about what you're talking about perhaps you might start making sense.
                    Actually you're symptomatic of the bulltulip this country runs on. Its why we're not doing very well.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

The thing is HAB, you knew what you wanted.

Most clients don't.

Which is where having a developer who speaks English and doesn't need the various meanings of "haircut" "margin" and "yield" explained to him/her is a positive boon.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X