• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flying Etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Trains are better. Travel first class by train. Flying's for plebs.
    Necessary evil for getting home though.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Trains are better. Travel first class by train. Flying's for plebs.
      On the mainland yes. I don't think trains are much fun any more on the island.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Necessary evil for getting home though.
        There are fast ferries to Ireland now.
        They used to run fast ferries Hoek-Harwich, now they're moved them to the Dublin-Holyhead route.

Take a look on seat61.com; you can go by train and ferry to Dublin for 30 quid, buy the ticket on the day. Best deal around. London to Dublin by train+ferry | Only
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          On the mainland yes. I don't think trains are much fun any more on the island.
          I went from Euston to B'ham by Virgin trains 1st class; very good indeed. Pleb free, good food, nice lounges to wait without smelly people. All in all much better than flying. I often use the ICE to get to Deutschland; also excellent.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            That is certainly the case with the small planes but I think you do get a better amount of room in economy on those, the whole VLM fleet for example when it was still VLM. Airlines are not going to try and squeeze more seats onto a Fokker 50, at least I hope not.

I did like that airline, I dread to think what Air France/KLM have done to them.
            Having flown on other services running a fokker 50 I think the design of the aircraft and the maximum number of passengers they are licensed to carry means that they always offer decent legroom.
            I agree though, the KLM takeover of VLM will be the worst thing for that airline

Originally posted by From Wiki
            VLM used to promote itself as Europe’s leading “Business Airline” and tried to reflect this in its pursuit of superior service. Onboard, passengers were served fresh meals, and passengers were able to request a vegetarian or kosher meal at the time of reservation. Meals were presented on a half-tray, and all passengers were served drinks in real glasses with tea and coffee served in china cups. Such features are not commonly found on short haul airlines.

After the Air France takeover, this product was downgraded to move in line to reflect the Air France product on short-haul flights. There is now a simple service of snacks and drinks, with glassware and china cups replaced with plastic.

From my experience Eastern Airways offer the best flying experience. Probably because their planes are tiny
            Last edited by Spacecadet; 6 July 2010, 10:26.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              as a frequent flyer I get automatically upgraded on all flights with said airline

one of the funniest is to be in the last row of business and recline the seat into the riff raff behind

funniest is when riff raff close to business try to come through business and use the business toilets and get sent back by the air hostesses

excellent

Milan.
              You're making the fundamental error that being in business class stops you being riff-raff.
              Wrong. People like you are riff raff wherever you are and people like me can sense it immediately.
              HTH.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

There are fast ferries to Ireland now.
                They used to run fast ferries Hoek-Harwich, now they're moved them to the Dublin-Holyhead route.

Take a look on seat61.com; you can go by train and ferry to Dublin for 30 quid, buy the ticket on the day. Best deal around. London to Dublin by train+ferry | Only
                Yep, I've done the fast ferry Holyhead to Dublin - it's 99 minutes or something like that. Done it a few times with the car and it's ok. Good for at Christmas when you have loads of stuff to bring home with you.

Flying although it is on an O'Leary Cattle truck is handier for a Thurs - Sun quick weekend.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  You're making the fundamental error that being in business class stops you being riff-raff.
                  Wrong. People like you are riff raff wherever you are and people like me can sense it immediately.
                  HTH.

on the negative side of bi-polar today are we Sas ?

take the medication you'll feel much better

you are correct, I am riff raff and always will be

however, even for the riff raff it makes the unpleasant task of flying easier to be upgraded

Milan.

Comment

The trouble with business class is there is always some loud mouthed, self important, vulgar, alcoholic ***** who's prime motive for flying is to indulge his superiority complex.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      Having flown on other services running a fokker 50 I think the design of the aircraft and the maximum number of passengers they are licensed to carry means that they always offer decent legroom.
                      I agree though, the KLM takeover of VLM will be the worst thing for that airline

Some years ago I was off for my first day with client co in NL. At that time Docklands Light Railway did not have a stop at London City Airport. After having several delays getting across London I jumped into a Taxi to get to the Airport however I arrived a few minutes prior to take-off time. At the VLM check-in I was told that they may allow me en-board. The OK was given, I rushed through the gate that opened to a taxi way. A member of ground staff pointed and said “Than One”.

Got en-board and we immediately taxied and up … but we carried on flying in the wrong direction. I looked around and saw the plane full of kids and just about half a dozen adults. The first officer announces, “On the right we have Tower bridge” the aircraft turns a little… ”on the left we have Buckingham Palace” (I think, Of F%6CK I am a joy flight and I need to get to NL) … then another turn… and then some more sightseeing. Only then the first officer announces “As you may realize we have a school party on the morning flight to Rotterdam and after showing them a little of London we will make up the time en-route and land on schedule in Rotterdam.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X