• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you not go on a booked holiday to secure a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lightship
    Do you feel like you need a break?

Do you care about upsetting the wife and kids with whom you'd already committed to spending some time?

Or, would the wife and kids actually prefer to spend time WITHOUT you?
    I dont need a break.

The missus seems to feel she needs breaks/holidays all the time. Which is surprising considering she hasn't worked for almost two years, her sister has lived with us for almost 18 months and I see more of her parents than I have seen of mine in the last 20 years.

I could do with the break from all of them!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

My question is.... Would you cancel a holiday to secure the role, or say balls I'm going on holiday and take pot luck?
      I'm having similar dilemma

Just about to finish a 2 mth contract... good rate.. great company on my CV. Boss says "am about to ask MD if we can extend you but will only be for the first phase of next project, will let you know"

Me "Do you remember I asked you for those two weeks off if you did decide to keep me on?"

Her "Oh yes". Obviously hadn't. I could easily cancel one week, but other week was to see my other half that I also re-arranged another holiday on before and that I never see anyway. Argh. I may be out of work for ages tho if I don't take.

However, is there anyway you could go away on another hols with just you, your missus, and the kids so you spend time just with them when the contract finishes? Could you afford that if you did something really cheap for 4 days like camping somewhere either before summer hols up or in half-term? Depends if you can hack camping tho But it's time with your family so may be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
        I'm having similar dilemma

Just about to finish a 2 mth contract... good rate.. great company on my CV. Boss says "am about to ask MD if we can extend you but will only be for the first phase of next project, will let you know"

Me "Do you remember I asked you for those two weeks off if you did decide to keep me on?"

Her "Oh yes". Obviously hadn't. I could easily cancel one week, but other week was to see my other half that I also re-arranged another holiday on before and that I never see anyway. Argh. I may be out of work for ages tho if I don't take.

However, is there anyway you could go away on another hols with just you, your missus, and the kids so you spend time just with them when the contract finishes? Could you afford that if you did something really cheap for 4 days like camping somewhere either before summer hols up or in half-term? Depends if you can hack camping tho But it's time with your family so may be fine.
        At the moment you've got to take what you can. There will be disappointment but better now than at Christmas when the bills suddenly shoot up and you've got no cash. A quality week with the missus and kids is better than nowt.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

My contract finishes in 3 weeks. I have a two week notice.

I have been asked by a new clientco to start immediately. They have said that at max they will wait for a two week notice, but this has only occurred because the two other candidates screwed up their interviews.

I have a holiday booked in 4 weeks with the inlaws, missus and kids.

My missus wants me to tell the new client I have a holiday booked(one week after I start with them). I have told her, this would be unacceptable and that they would subsequently not offer me the contract in the first place! She can still go with her, the inlaws, kids and her sister and family. I would just work on. The role is for two months, 3 miles from the house and on £400 per day.

My question is.... Would you cancel a holiday to secure the role, or say balls I'm going on holiday and take pot luck?
          Holiday every time.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I don't 'book' a holiday any more. I just like, 'let's go on holiday', and go. Usually triggered by the weather and some last minute style advert I see on the web or in a shop window.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

her sister has lived with us for almost 18 months
              I feel your pain!!

Comment

I dont need a break.

The missus seems to feel she needs breaks/holidays all the time. Which is surprising considering she hasn't worked for almost two years, her sister has lived with us for almost 18 months and I see more of her parents than I have seen of mine in the last 20 years.

I could do with the break from all of them!

My brother was in a similar position years ago. He took the contract.

It allowed him to subsequently get out of these family type holidays.

The only holidays he does now is with my SIL and their kids.

Though his missus did and does work, and now earns a lot more than him.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

her sister has lived with us for almost 18 months
                  Is she fit??
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Let them go on holiday without you - there are plenty of others going so its not like they will be alone and it's only a few days. Book another holiday for you and the family at a better time! Simple.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

If this is a definate offer, let them know you have a holiday booked, very sorry, very keen to do the role etc. It will take them at least as long to get someone else in plus all the grief of interviews so they might go for it. 5 days isn't going to make that much difference, maybe offer to do some work at weekend on normal day rate over the next few months if they will be behind.
                      I am scoring some similar grief, why can't you take time off etc For f**ks sake, can't you remember the months I am having off between contracts, where do you think the money comes from to pay for everything !!!
                      P.S. Holiday looks like it won't be one, so sounds like a ready made excuse, she will get over it.....or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X