• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weird looking train

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I travelled on one of these from Rome to Venice, I'm sure I was happier on my journey knowing the train looked cool as it sped through Umbria and Tuscany.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

As I have said in previous railway related posts (and I don't want to be accused of repeating myself) the critical factor in determining a maximum velocity on any non straight section of line is the strength of the wheel's flanges regardless of bogey configuration be it BO-BO or CO-CO.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        As I have said in previous railway related posts (and I don't want to be accused of repeating myself) the critical factor in determining a maximum velocity on any non straight section of line is the strength of the wheel's flanges regardless of bogey configuration be it BO-BO or CO-CO.
        I don't really want to get into a conversation about trains but wasn't there a rail disaster in Germany where the wheels were to blame? They had a rubber cushion in them and it failed IIRC?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I don't really want to get into a conversation about trains but wasn't there a rail disaster in Germany where the wheels were to blame? They had a rubber cushion in them and it failed IIRC?
          Indeed and it was all down to the flanges.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Which is why they have the bulbous surround at the "front/rear" so that when units like this are coupled the gap between the units is reduced. Cuts down on noise and buffetting.
            Nah, not really.

The actual problem is solved in a slightly different way on the front of modern lorry tractor units, where one doesn't really ever want to couple to the unit in front.

The thing to notice is the similar recessing of the slab window and skirting down ground level.

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I think its time to dig out a copy of Hoerners Fluid-Dynamic drag...
              B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I travelled on one of these from Rome to Venice, I'm sure I was happier on my journey knowing the train looked cool as it sped through Umbria and Tuscany.
                There is a simple explanation for the cool appearance of this train, which does not involve complicated aerodynamics.

It is Italian.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  There is a simple explanation for the cool appearance of this train, which does not involve complicated aerodynamics.

It is Italian.
                  <ahem> So is this......

Errr well coooool???

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    http://www.seat61.com/images/Norway-oresund-train.jpg

I’m just arranging my trip to the Stockholm Tens
                    and while booking the train tickets I came across this picture of the Copenhagen to Stockholm train. What a strange looking contraption. Aside from the aesthetic eccentricities, I wonder how good the aerodynamics are at 160km/h.
                    Oops, just gave you negative rep for this interesting thread and observation that was intended to be positive. D'oh! No undo facility either

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                      Oh my goodness... that seat61 is brilliant isn't it? Only found out about it when I was in trailfinders on Saturday - I've been a bit addicted to it since
                      I recommend planning a trip from anywhere in the UK to Hanoi (yes the one in Vietnam), you can travel there all be train!

The gal upstairs from me had done this, travelled on the trans siberian express, just imagine not only does the landscape change before your eyes but so do the people, just imagine....

go on, you owe it to yourself.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X