• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lejog

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I may have mentioned a few times (!) that I'm cycling from Land's End to John O' Groats over three weeks in July.

We're setting out for Land's End on Friday next week (2nd) and start pedalling (following photo shoot - you have to pay to have the Land's End sign erected!) on 3rd. We're covering around 60 miles a day depending on terrain, and taking every 6th day as a rest day. Our route mainly takes quiet roads and goes up the west coast of Scotland, and takes in Arran and Mull so we're anticipating around 1100 miles in total.

We've set up a blog which we intend to update daily (technology permitting) - you can find a link to the blog from our fundraising page. We're raising money for Sue Ryder Care if anyone's feeling generous...!
    Always wanted to do this! I do cycle but only get an hour a go. I can bash 10-15 miles out no problems, but really think I need to find more time so I can hit 60 miles a trip with some ease. How did you prepare? 3 weeks is going some. With the 6th day as a rest day you will have only 18 days cycling which at 60 miles per day leaves you 20 miles short
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Well done k2p2. Over the worst of it now. No doubt the weather will pick up for you now that you are nearing the Lake District and Scotland!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Well done k2p2. Over the worst of it now. No doubt the weather will pick up for you now that you are nearing the Lake District and Scotland!!

True, Scotland is renowned for it's hazy summer days and mediteranean climate
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Thank you both - good to know the blog is being read!
          Blog? What blog? I just assumed you'd be sampling the local tipples
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Well you know there's a hosepipe ban in Northumbria, so of course she'll enjoy the hazy evenings in the summer sun
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Been fairly lucky with the weather so far, but it's chucking it down out there now. Looking forward to the Scottish midgies!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Always wanted to do this! I do cycle but only get an hour a go. I can bash 10-15 miles out no problems, but really think I need to find more time so I can hit 60 miles a trip with some ease. How did you prepare? 3 weeks is going some. With the 6th day as a rest day you will have only 18 days cycling which at 60 miles per day leaves you 20 miles short
                Been Sunday cycling for a few years, so was just a case of stepping it up. The hardest thing is doing it day after day - our rest days are definitely needed. Panniers are also a bugger - feels like you're riding with a flat tyre. Enjoying it (mostly) so far!

Comment

Been fairly lucky with the weather so far, but it's chucking it down out there now. Looking forward to the Scottish midgies!
                  Happy pedalling. And don't worry about the midgies, they have not fared well with the hot weather. What the vultures have not accounted for during the day, the vampire bats have eaten at night!!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Just refreshed the map thingie on Land's End to John O' Groats 2010

Was amazed to see there's nothing there at all apart from the road.

And the spirit of Wainright watching from above.
                    There must be a pub there somewhere
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                      There must be a pub there somewhere
                      We're sorted - we've got a magnum of champagne in the support car.

Comment

Working...
                      X