• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever had a contract..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Perhaps they summised that anyone who would spend their spare time collecting locomotive numbers, could be entrusted to metronomically undertake tasks that would bore the underpants off anyone normal?
    <snigger>

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
      ... which just makes you lose the will to live? Excessive micro management, tons of tedious administrative tasks to do,
      people who don't talk to each other except when talking about work (or Star Trek).
      Completely and utterly. In fact the contract I am currently on, but thankfully leaving is like that. I'm surprised the number of suicides hasn't increased in the past few months.

Comment

Originally posted by cnch View Post
        Completely and utterly. In fact the contract I am currently on, but thankfully leaving is like that. I'm surprised the number of suicides hasn't increased in the past few months.
        It brings us back to the old big company vs small company argument.
        I have to say, I much prefer working for a small company - generally there are fewer procedures to follow, less administrative BS & less HR interference. Often you come in, are given a blank canvas and just told to get on with it. Downside I guess is for people who can't work without procedures and micromanagement but I'm a very independent worker so prefer it that way.

On reflection, I'd never want to work for current client co. again (large financial services provider in Swindon)
        Last edited by gricerboy; 21 June 2010, 10:32.

Comment

I have to say, I much prefer working for a small company - generally there are fewer procedures to follow, less administrative BS & less HR interference. Often you come in, are given a blank canvas and just told to get on with it. Downside I guess is for people who can't work without procedures and micromanagement but I'm a very independent worker so prefer it that way.

On reflection, I'd never want to work for curtrent client co. again (large financial services provider in Swindon)
          Duly noted. You won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Duly noted. You won't.
            OHWWWWWWW!! Think we're a big hitter do we??

Comment

It depends on the company and what sort of contract work you do.

From a design and working practices perspective all the big companies I've worked in have been very blank canvas for me.

When it comes to restrictive IT procedures then those can usually be made simpler by knowing who's arm to twist and when to do it, IT admin start being a bit more friendly when they know you've got their pay master on side.
              Smaller companies usually mean I'm having to get on the server myself and make the changes!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

On reflection, I'd never want to work for current client co. again (large financial services provider in Swindon)
                Nor I this one. Basically doing nothing for the past 4 mths.... soul destroying and if you try to move anything forward you are damned for being pro-active.

Comment

... which just makes you lose the will to live? Excessive micro management, tons of tedious administrative tasks to do,
                  people who don't talk to each other except when talking about work (or Star Trek).

Yes I have, it was with THALES, stay away for they are all mad.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X