• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunday Times article on UK economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well as an English chap living in Scotland, I feel I have to defend the indigenous population - despite having been assaulted three times in two years...

For one thing the Scottish regiments have a pretty good history of beating the crap out of the UKs enemies ... maybe its lack of opportunity that leads people to enlist, but certainly be thankful that they do...

Secondly although there are areas of Scotland which are rough as a bears arse (Im working in Motherwell - I certainly dont venture far from the office at lunch times in my Boss suit), theres also very upmarket areas... and some of the UKs largest financial institutions are based here, with a considerable amount of power in that arena...

Thirdly, ive lived in London, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Somerset, Norfolk, Yorkshire and now Midlothian... people might mention areas of Glasgow as being sink estates, but they are everywhere in the UK....

Fourthly the overwhelming majority of the people here are very welcoming, know how to have a good time, and still have a sense of national pride.... something that, I am sorry to say, is lacking in my own home country....

So, Im happy to be here, all things considered. I miss blue skies but hey, when you have probably the best nightlife in the UK outside London, in a city of only 500,000 people (Edinburgh), you cant complain....
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
      Well as an English chap living in Scotland, I feel I have to defend the indigenous population - despite having been assaulted three times in two years...
      That kind of destroys the rest of your arguments.

I read that there is a serious problem with anti-English racism in Scotland. It does not surprise me. Most Scots I've met in the UK, including Scottish friends, spend most of their time winging about the dreadful English. For goodness sake, we finally beat them (wasn't the act of union in 1703?) so they should get over it.

I have nothing against jocks, with a few exceptions, who should be euthanased ASAP, i.e. Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Alastair Darling and Lord Falconer. I'm sure the rest are lovely people.

Comment

Mailman after the AB's had hammered Scotland "Yeah au, you guys play like that against England and you will **** them up the ar*s! Useless ******* c*nts the English are!!!"

Guy I was talking to in girls voice "Oh I say old chap, I am English"

Mailman "gawd I hope you guys **** the Scots when you play them in that poofta competition of yours!"

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
          Mailman after the AB's had hammered Scotland "Yeah au, you guys play like that against England and you will **** them up the ar*s! Useless ******* c*nts the English are!!!"

Guy I was talking to in girls voice "Oh I say old chap, I am English"

Mailman "gawd I hope you guys **** the Scots when you play them in that poofta competition of yours!"

Mailman
          At least our boys gave the ABs a bit of a game. As for me Scotland would be my next favourite team after England.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Even if it was 16 against 12 eh Dodgy

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
              That kind of destroys the rest of your arguments.

I read that there is a serious problem with anti-English racism in Scotland. It does not surprise me. Most Scots I've met in the UK, including Scottish friends, spend most of their time winging about the dreadful English. For goodness sake, we finally beat them (wasn't the act of union in 1703?) so they should get over it.

I have nothing against jocks, with a few exceptions, who should be euthanased ASAP, i.e. Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Alastair Darling and Lord Falconer. I'm sure the rest are lovely people.
              Au contraire,in the space of nine months I was assaulted twice in the Glasgow region , and I am a local.

The violence in Glasgow does not discriminate, everybody gets his share,no matter where you are from.

Mind you I was asking for trouble sitting quietly in the back of the bus and the other time walking back from my friends house at eight in the evening.
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 24 January 2006, 12:08.

Comment

Its members’ primary characteristic is not material poverty; but they do share the anti-social ways in which they behave: they live off welfare or the proceeds of crime and the black economy; and they hold corrosive values, including a rejection of marriage, personal responsibility, education, respectability, independence or any belief in the moral value of work.

Perhaps the above values are shared by most of my fellow contractors?

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                  Even if it was 16 against 12 eh Dodgy

Mailman
                  Didnt we see similar odds somewhere in the recent past?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Sctotland loses another manufacturing 700 jobs.

Its All Going Tits Up!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

A male worker said he was "stunned" and a woman who came out after him told the BBC Scotland news website she was "shocked and upset".

So much for the permie job.

Anyway Im sure Tony will be leavering his influence with GW Bush to save these jobs.

Comment

Working...
                      X