• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Donating your body to medical science?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not planning on dying so they're having f**k all!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      I'm not planning on dying so they're having f**k all!
      But you should!

You'd be a good example for them to learn just how much human skin can stretch.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        But you should!

You'd be a good example for them to learn just how much human skin can stretch.
        F**k's sake! You should have a look in the mirror, fat bastard! Can you still bend light?

Comment

Brother is a doc, he says it's standard practice to wheel out the dead bodies in the first week or so to wake a few students up who are there because they like the 'idea' of being a Dr but haven't grasped the reality. Often clears a few out and it's not too late to draft in others.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            Seems you can't donate your body if you are already donating your organs - seems a bit daft that. There must still be bits that they could practice on.
            Very few people get to be organ donors. You have to die in Intensive Care or possible A & E. You can always give any bits they don't use for research.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Very few people get to be organ donors. You have to die in Intensive Care or possible A & E. You can always give any bits they don't use for research.
              All to do with preserving the viability of the organs while the body is still artificially kept alive, I think, before harvesting?

It should be mandatory for all IMO, with the option to de-register for those who wish to.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Chicken..............apparently!

HTH

What, the old "long pig" you mean? Pork, I would have said. I mean, read. Somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  Yes I will. I've talked to the family and made my wishes clear, and I think I've talked my mother in to donation.
                  Same here. The health system in Holland won’t use my organs for transplant as I lived in the UK for several years while the BSE problem was at its peak. So, instead, I’ve made it clear that my body should be used for science; seeing as I have my life and my wealth thanks to science and I get so much enjoyment from reading about science it seems to be the least I could do; it’s not as if I’ll need my body when I’m dead.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    All to do with preserving the viability of the organs while the body is still artificially kept alive, I think, before harvesting?

It should be mandatory for all IMO, with the option to de-register for those who wish to.
                    You need to be on a ventilator at the time of death or at the time when it is decided that ongoing treatment is no longer in your best interest (i.e. it is futile). Problem with mandatory (opt-out) is that you need the co-operation of the next of kin in order to get a detailed social history to ascertain any risky behaviour (sexual or drug) that might present a risk to potential organ recipients.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Same here. The health system in Holland won’t use my organs for transplant as I lived in the UK for several years while the BSE problem was at its peak. So, instead, I’ve made it clear that my body should be used for science; seeing as I have my life and my wealth thanks to science and I get so much enjoyment from reading about science it seems to be the least I could do; it’s not as if I’ll need my body when I’m dead.
                      Same here in Denmark. If you've lived in the UK for more than a few weeks you're not allowed to give blood or donate organs.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X