• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you a proper contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Yes, we had some very grown up posting yesterday.
    SY02 didn't think so

Stated she now has 4 kids.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      The projects I work on (which is dictated by the type of work I do) have a 6 month core development life span, after that it moves into change request/support territory which is the point at which I get itchy feet and need to hand over to the permies.
      The longer contracts I've had have been combinations of smaller projects, again about 6 months each

I don't concentrate on a specific sector... I've been in healthcare, retail, manufacturing, government agency, publishing and telecoms in the past 4 years
      As long as your happy, it ok. I'm currently looking for a role after a couple of years and I don't think I could do it every 6 months.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

The projects I work on (which is dictated by the type of work I do) have a 6 month core development life span, after that it moves into change request/support territory which is the point at which I get itchy feet and need to hand over to the permies.
        The longer contracts I've had have been combinations of smaller projects, again about 6 months each

I don't concentrate on a specific sector... I've been in healthcare, retail, manufacturing, government agency, publishing and telecoms in the past 4 years
        I had the same view for many years but I find it too difficult to balance contracting, retraining, kids & plan B's.

My longterm is to ditch plan B's and combine the first two into a perm role, preferably in a consultancy or internal BI team. That way I get the best of all of them,
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I had the same view for many years but I find it too difficult to balance contracting, retraining, kids & plan B's.

My longterm is to ditch plan B's and combine the first two into a perm role, preferably in a consultancy or internal BI team. That way I get the best of all of them,
          Check my sig for my thoughts on Plan B
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Check my sig for my thoughts on Plan B
            NWS, can't open.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Interestingly enough most of my perm jobs seem to last about 5 years

first 2 years - getting to know the job and the people - can be quite fun

next 2 years - climbing the greasy poll as evident skills and talent come to the fore - get loads a money!

last year being managed out of the business because you are starting to make your boss look like a clueless bell end due to obvious talent and an unwillingness to kiss ass.

ok you do not get the extra cash you do with contracting - but also you do not get the stress of no contract/bench time/running company accounts etc etc etc

so looks like another 4.5 years in my current job then....
              You ought to try it when all that happens in the space of the introduction meeting...
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                NWS, can't open.
                I just meant... "Plan B is enforcing Plan A"
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                X