• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the best & worst gig you ever had?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best: Current one, local, decent rate, reasonably interesting projects, happy to let me get on with it... Second stint here, returned after an 18 month break at:

Worst: Government - nuff said.
    Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

worst: home office & some ctrl govt gigs

best: RollsRoyce/Bentley - very low rates but generally a laugh & BT, Ldn in dot.com days

Comment

Best job - stand in system manager while bringing some permies up to speed. Decent rate, bags of overtime and I stayed in an excellent, friendly hotel which didn't break the bank.

Worst job - a place where they wouldn't give contractors their own user accounts, nobody knew where systems were when the hardware guys called, overtime was banned because previous guys had taken the pee. The final straw was being bollocked for not solving a problem which was hidden in a problem tracking queue that I didn't have access to.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Best role: current role, get to travel to India for the winter.

Worst role: Was sent to client site to intergrate an application written in C++ on UNIX. Client site was Windows, PM suggested: "just re-write the application, we have 6 weeks" I tried to explain the application required a lot of UNIX functions like Sendmail etc. "Just re-write them too"
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Best one - had to be working in southern Poland for a Mobile operator there. Good daily rate and could usually book at least 6 days a week. Did not have to do much but oversee my local permie replacement who was mad keen to do everything anyway.

Worst one - no really bad ones, but worked for a few weeks for Siemens in Den Haag on a GSM-R project. Decent daily rate but mega boring as I spent the entire 6 weeks that I lasted doing sod all as I was waiting for all the customer specifications to be translated from Cloggie to English.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Worst One:

Current one doing a DC migration for an IB, was told after 1 week in the pub by my manager that his boss had already given him the option of firing me beecause I wan't "agressive enough", nast bulltulip environemt where nobody shares info and everyone is always trying to get one over on the next person, luverly...

Best One:

3 years worth of renewals on good rate at a London branch of a Japanese bank, very laid back environment and very friendly and social.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                Best One:

3 years worth of renewals on good rate at a London branch of a Japanese bank, very laid back environment and very friendly and social.
                You are male then.

Unless by laid back you mean...

Comment

They all blur into one. I'm only here for the money. I was only there for the money as well. And there, and there, and there....
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    They all blur into one. I'm only here for the money. I was only there for the money as well. And there, and there, and there....
                    Be careful with that. You don't want to be sitting at home at 60 thinking where the f*** did my life go?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      Be careful with that. You don't want to be sitting at home at 60 thinking where the f*** did my life go?
                      It's just a means to an end. Where else can I get £x00 per day for sitting at a desk not trying very hard? My life outside work is very nice but it has to be paid for somehow!
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X