• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official "I was going to vote Cons but I changed my mind" thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    Is this the same parallel future where MJ12 rules the cyberwaves?
    I can't possibly comment.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I might make a sizeable donation in the future also.
      And what strings will you be attaching?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I can't possibly comment.

Before your new colleagues kick you out, make sure you get a good pay-off.

HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          And what strings will you be attaching?
          I did not think of that, but now that you mention I might ask them to ensure that parasites on the backs of workers get outlawed by a new Act of Parliament

Comment

Maybe it's the fault of the system we have in the UK, it encourages each government to spend everything and borrow more (which will have to be paid back over decades) to pay for improvements during that government cycle to cling to power (note - I don't mean the current bank bailouts, we had no reserves before that !). Sovereign funds have been built up by a number of countries around the world from current revenue as a very sensible hedge to the future. Most directly comparable is that by Norway, with a much smaller economy, knowing oil was a time limited bonus, directed a decent proportion into a fund to be invested for the future of the country. This is now a huge source of revenue invested across the world and will continue to be so AND no they haven't had to live in poverty back home. Our share of the pie has been.....wazzed into the huge black hole known as the public sector and now its running out we have jack to show for it and ongoing bills to pay. Both parties are responsible but only one thinks the sector can stay anywhere like the size it is now !! Recruitment freeze, 10% pay cut, money purchase pensions, get a real job if you don't like it (I bet they stay...)

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
              Sovereign funds have been built up by a number of countries around the world from current revenue as a very sensible hedge to the future. Most directly comparable is that by Norway, with a much smaller economy, knowing oil was a time limited bonus, directed a decent proportion into a fund to be invested for the future of the country. This is now a huge source of revenue invested across the world and will continue to be so AND no they haven't had to live in poverty back home. Our share of the pie has been.....wazzed into the huge black hole known as the public sector
              You are quite right about the one-time gift being squandered, though actually most of the oil wealth was spent during Thatcher and Major governments. There are those who say that's what funded their tax cuts. Whatever, it does have the effect you describe: whatever Brown might think will get him re-elected, you can be pretty sure that putting the top tax rate back up to 83% isn't it.

It might be that the Conservatives wanted the money to fund tax cuts, and Labour to fund public services, but again you are right, they both blew it. It was Callaghan's government that got the report in the 1970 on the potential oil wealth, and immediately classified it Secret in case it encouraged any discussion on what to do with it.
              Last edited by expat; 26 April 2010, 15:02.

Comment

Working...
              X