• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    ...there was a book about it IIRC...
    "Undocumented Windows" by Andrew Schulman?
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      I agree.
      Well that's a disapointing end to the argument.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        "Undocumented Windows" by Andrew Schulman?
        I've got a copy of the "Petzold" book on my desk

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          I've got a copy of the "Petzold" book on my desk
          Which version?

I can't remember whether I finally binned my Windows 3.0 edition.

Comment

Which version?

5th

I remember years ago the standard answer to any Windows programming question was "Look it up in Petzold"

Comment

If I were Adobe I'd make CS5 Windows only, or Windows + Linux in retaliation.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Whatever you think of Microsoft, they never sought to prevent other people from writing software for their platform. In fact, they enouraged it, which was exactly what made Microsoft as dominant as it is.

I guess I am biased, as a software developer. I'm worried that with all the trendoids lining up to praise Apple, there's a danger that Apple will ultimately win. And then we'll all be screwed. There'll be no choice anywhere, no independent software, no open source, no open standards, and we'll all just be sad old men getting together in the Job Centre once a week, and talking about the good old days of Microsoft's monopoly.
                I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can make that anology. The way I read it, is that anyone can write apps for the iPhone as long as you follow some specific rules:

- Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple
                - must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++ or JavaScript
                - only code written in C, C++ and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs

If you can't follow their rules, then tough. Apple is a more stable environment than Windows. The reason for that is they control the hardware and software, why should they have to change their whole ethos so Joe Bloggs can port some dodgy 99p Flash game.

Having worked with Windows for years, nothing annoys me more than code badly ported. The amount of enterprise apps that have been cobbled together from their original Unix iteration is astounding and inevitably crap.

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                You do realise that Mac OS X v10.5 (and onwards) are now Registered Unix-like systems. Bit hard to retaliate just against Apple.
                Last edited by Incognito; 9 April 2010, 10:22.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                  I was just musing over that scenario too. It's very unlikely though IMHO - they'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face, losing a lot of sales in the process.

Comment

Which version?

Don't bin it! Zeity might be upgrading to Windows 3.0 any day now

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                      The reason for that is they control the hardware and software, why should they have to change their whole ethos so Joe Bloggs can port some dodgy 99p Flash game.
                      They don't, but it was that exact same ethos that lost them the original battle against windows, and one in the long run I suspect will lose them this one as well if that's how they're going to operate.
                      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                      X