• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never mind climate change, have you seen the price of a new Range Rover?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's not marxist to suggest fuel-guzzlers are a bad thing. Forget climate issues, how about pollution... hardly a controversial bit of science this one. You like breathing exhaust fumes?
    I presume you are leading from the front by not farting or driving
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I presume you are leading from the front by not farting or driving
      Farting from the front?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Farting from the front?
        You can get a cream for that.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
          You can pick up a 12-15 year old one for a couple of grand (or even less). If it dies, break it. If it doesn't, flog it on for what you paid for it.
          Although probably a bit old for you lot I have a 1982 Land Rover which set me back £1650 plus a few bills since then. Not sure it is that practical, but I get the train to work so don't worry too much about the 18mpg during the weekends. Oh, plus the top end of 70mph and the very tulip turning circle. Still if you got a 10-year-old Range Rover I'm sure it would be superb without the wallet crushing loss in value that goes with a new one.

Comment

I've never had an impulse to buy a chelsea tractor and I think they're pretty pointless for the shopping trolley and school run types, but I don't fundamentally object to them.

A friend has one of the Landrover versions (damned if I know which one) but he has a boat to tow and launch and he goes to all sorts of unmade roads type of places. I know plenty of farming people who have them, but again they have them as essentials not "status" symbols.

Mind you I've never understood the whole status symbol thing with cars as I use mine because I have to. After the better part of half a million working miles since I left Uni I don't get any pleasure at all out of driving except on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
              Never mind climate change, have you seen the price of a new Range Rover?

Obviously not high enough, since people keep buying the things.

What should we do to stop people from running these monsters? A little bit of Road Tax is not doing the trick, we obviously need much more severe measures to ensure that people do not imagine that they can get away with this. But what?

Perhaps a carbon quota? If you reach your allowed quota then you are simply not allowed to generate any more, with severe criminal penalties for offenders?
              I think that you will find people buying 4X4s are just preparing for the day that the councils can no longer afford to repair the roads and most roads become as driveable as the Fosse Way is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                I think that you will find people buying 4X4s are just preparing for the day that the councils can no longer afford to repair the roads and most roads become as driveable as the Fosse Way is now.
                You should see my road already.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  You should see my road already.
                  The rot has set in already then?

Soon those small fuel efficient cars won't be going anywhere, which ironically will mean that their fuel use drops to zero making them even more environmentally friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    The rot has set in already then?

Soon those small fuel efficient cars won't be going anywhere, which ironically will mean that their fuel use drops to zero making them even more environmentally friendly.
                    Perhaps zis is Ze Plan ?

Anyway,

I hired a Range Rover Vogue Sport for a day, with a proper chauffeur for a day in London.

The trip had been planned for months as a special treat for Halo, and it was based on the 5 senses. I spent a lot of time theming the event around a concept, then getting the paper, the envelopes, the inserts, and making them at home in secret.

I told her to take a day of work, and be ready at 6 am one morning on the big day.

The RR turned up and we both got in.

As we drove in to London, Halo having no idea of what lay in store for the day, she got the 1st gold envelope, called "Hearing" with a picture of St Pauls just as we arrived.

We went to St Pauls, to the Whispering Gallery, learnt about the cathedral, and had a look around.

Back in to the RR, she got a bonus gold envelope, called "Love", with a picture of a wedding ring.

We went to Hatton Garden and chose our rings.

Then came "Touch". Over to a spa in Mayfair for some serious pampering and beauty treatments.

By then, it was mid afternoon, so on to "Taste", and to a nice restaurant in Islington.

Then an envelope marked "Smell", and on to a stunning perfumery called Les Senteurs, where she picked out a signature scent which is a staple of her perfumery wear.

Finally an envelope called "Sight", and off to see Spamalot the musical.

It was great, as we could hop on and hop off to our destinations, whilst the chauff went off and waited for us.

Wouldn't have been possible with a) the sheer amount of shopping and b) my legs not working properly, so short distances only for me.

Lovely motor, and for bonus points, the driver was called "James", so we did get to say "Home James" at the end of the day.

A special treat and a brilliant day :-)
                    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 30 March 2010, 22:56.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                      I've never had an impulse to buy a chelsea tractor and I think they're pretty pointless for the shopping trolley and school run types, but I don't fundamentally object to them.

A friend has one of the Landrover versions (damned if I know which one) but he has a boat to tow and launch and he goes to all sorts of unmade roads type of places. I know plenty of farming people who have them, but again they have them as essentials not "status" symbols.

Mind you I've never understood the whole status symbol thing with cars as I use mine because I have to. After the better part of half a million working miles since I left Uni I don't get any pleasure at all out of driving except on the track.
                      Dont kid yourself, everyone buys their car for a reason. Even the A to B brigade buy their cars to reflect themselves. Those that think they are above status symbols wear and portray their badge of identity in their own way.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X