• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

English...NOT!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post

My dad actually used that one on me yesterday.... I'm sure I almost spontaneously combusted!!
    You did...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      You did...
      True.
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

True.
        Mmmmmmm Maltesers!

Talking about Maltesers, have a look on the web for Maltese Puppies! They look like a Mogwai!!!
        Last edited by Churchill; 29 March 2010, 14:53.

Comment

My dad actually used that one on me yesterday.... I'm sure I almost spontaneously combusted!!
          Sorry to be picky... but what is "almost" spontaneously combusted?

My bonfire "almost" spontaneously combusted could mean:
          a) It combusted after I poured 2 gallons of Diesel on it and then chucked my Zippo on top...
          b) Its actually still a pile of wood.....

Its a bit like a qualified absolute...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            What has happened to the English language? WHY do people insist on appending the word ‘not’ to something they say, for example, 'Gordon is really competent…NOT!'

What is wrong with using the word in its proper place in the sentence, just after the words ‘is’ or ‘does’?

Is this some nasty habit taken over from the Septics, just like repeated use of the word ‘like’ and ‘going forward’?

Would the death penalty be too harsh?
            IIRC it is actually very old English, that went out of fashion with the language becoming more frenchified. A lot of old English constructions have survived in colloquial American English, and have then come back into fashion over here.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              Sorry to be picky... but what is "almost" spontaneously combusted?

My bonfire "almost" spontaneously combusted could mean:
              a) It combusted after I poured 2 gallons of Diesel on it and then chucked my Zippo on top...
              b) Its actually still a pile of wood.....

Its a bit like a qualified absolute...
              Ahem - Contrary knickers!!!
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                A lot of old English constructions have survived in colloquial American English, and have then come back into fashion over here.
                Well it's a crap one and if it was put over there it was done so for a reason and it should have stayed over there.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  IIRC it is actually very old English, that went out of fashion with the language becoming more frenchified. A lot of old English constructions have survived in colloquial American English, and have then come back into fashion over here.
                  Das verstehe ich nicht.
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Well it's a crap one and if it was put over there it was done so for a reason and it should have stayed over there.
                    Well, it has, you've just not noticed. It survived more prominently in Scandinavian languages to this day.

So you ended up with the very similar:

"...the best beer in the world, probably"

Which was changed after people complained about the grammar to

"probably the best beer in the world"

Which is just as bad really.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Ahem - Contrary knickers!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X