• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody mens’ clothes shops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was reading a rather interesting paper some time back that basically had the conclusions that on average women see in more colours than men because they have more variation in the colour filters on their cones in the retina. More prevalent in Nordic races, where men also, can have more than the usual variation, and sometimes more than 3 cone types.

Also different 'races' also see in different colours because, for example 'red' filters will be on a slightly different 'red' frequencies.

And many woman go further having 4 or more distinct colour filters in her cones, and if that is the case her sons will more likely be colour blind. And that works backwards too, if a son is colour blind, it is very likely the mother has 4 or more distinct colour cones.

They had a simple test about counting the colours in the rainbow. Which struck a chord with me, because I've always seen more colours than the standard "Richard Of York..." rhyme.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      My daughter bought me an exceedingly bright Pink polo shirt which I wore for work one day, cost her a quid from Primark which is five weeks pocket money for her, and she's 17...

The jokers in Test raised a Sev. One defect on it.......

Never wore it again, gf chucked it out...
      Skinflint!

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Dave View Post
        Skinflint!
        Ten years in Scotland and the last two in Yorkshire have had their effect.....

Even the Yorkshire Bank ATM in town says 'How Much???" when you ask it for a tenner.....

Comment

How can you not tell BLUE from BLACK
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            It is quite common in shops to pick lighting colour to help them shift stock.

Meat counters are the most blatant, with lighting to make the meat look fresher.

Or are they: the rest of the shop may be in false colour, lit by some halide bulb, and then the meat counter having a truer fluorescent light manages the same trick.

Clothes shops tend to go for these tungsten-halogens which overcome the yellowing in the human lens as we age, making the purchaser feel younger and more youthful, and more likely to part with their cash. Under such lighting clothes look 'newer', because of a swamp out in the blue cones which makes dark things look darker, and light things lighter. Same trick is done with 'whiter than white detergents', there's a little blue dye in there to do it.

Comment

There's a perfectly good evolutionary reason that woment have superior colour vision to men and that men have better spacial and movement awareness and it's based in our hunter/gatherer ancestry.

Colours are critical when it comes to ripeness and often poison indicators (predominantly female gathering) and movement/distance relies on the rods in the eye that are monochrome (predominantly male hunting).

I know my colour vision is pretty crappy compared to women.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Bloody hell. Went to the shop last night to buy a shirt. Yet again I have bought a dark blue shirt thinking it was black. Now I’m sitting in the office and the woman next to me says it’s blue.

Everyone knows that men are crap with colours, so why can’t they just put labels above the shelves saying ‘blue clothes’, ‘black clothes’, ‘green clothes’ etc?
                You should try being colour blind.. I once bought a nice pair of white merrel trainers back in my student days. Put them on in the shop and wore them home. When I got in my mum asked why on earth i was wearning pink shoes. Straight in the bin! I agree, colour on the label!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  FTFY
                  Last edited by rsingh; 26 March 2010, 19:00.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    I was reading a rather interesting paper some time back that basically had the conclusions that on average women see in more colours than men because they have more variation in the colour filters on their cones in the retina. More prevalent in Nordic races, where men also, can have more than the usual variation, and sometimes more than 3 cone types.
                    Now that is interesting, since I have a fair bit of Norse blood in my veins, and also like a bit of colour about the home, with clothes etc.

and yes I do notice if a woman has changed the colour of her hair

Do you have a linky to that paper?
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      Now that is interesting, since I have a fair bit of Norse blood in my veins, and also like a bit of colour about the home, with clothes etc.

and yes I do notice if a woman has changed the colour of her hair

Do you have a linky to that paper?
                      It was something recent, so it's not on the web, well I can't find it, which is the same thing...

But this'll give you a starting place Madam Tetrachromat

Interestingly we would all be terachromats if it wasn't for our lens being slightly yellow. So Madam Tetrachromat would be Pentachromat ...

Comment

Working...
                      X