• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alistair Darling admits post election spending cuts worse than the 80s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    You have it back to front. Weak pound = good. They have no intention of trying to see gbp strengthen. This is our chance at competitive advantage over our main trading partners in Europe who cant devalue as freely. 1gbp = 1eur would be suit just nicely. From a macro perspective.
    Only in the short term. We import more than we export, so eventually prices, inflation, interest rates, insolvencies, etc, go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      My daily forex report tells me that there are a load of stops lined up at 1.485. I wish I understood what that means.
      Not a lot now that Cable is at 1.4800
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

You have it back to front. Weak pound = good. They have no intention of trying to see gbp strengthen. This is our chance at competitive advantage over our main trading partners in Europe who cant devalue as freely. 1gbp = 1eur would be suit just nicely. From a macro perspective.
        Only in the short term. We import more than we export, so eventually prices, inflation, interest rates, insolvencies, etc, go up.
        Aye, it is inflationary for a country like the UK that imports so much. It also transitory as other countries try to do the same trick. It is also deceitful as it is only hiding the hidden flaws in the productivity in the economy. So, a typical nuLieBore ploy really.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

We import more than we export,
          That's irrelevant. A drop in GBP would decrease imports and increase exports. Its a race to the bottom. The Germans are playing a smart game with the euro right now. It suits them. The last thing anyone in our situation wants right now is currency strength.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

That's irrelevant. A drop in GBP would decrease imports and increase exports. Its a race to the bottom. The Germans are playing a smart game with the euro right now. It suits them. The last thing anyone in our situation wants right now is currency strength.
            And what do you think happens if, as you suggest, we decrease our imports? If devaluing were as good as you say, we'd be forever at it. Just print money. And of course agencies lending us vast amounts of money won't be too keen on being paid a low interest rate on a weakening currency. At some stage the risk must be that a slide backed up with smoke and mirrors and tough talk, turns into an avalanche.

Comment

That model went about 20 years ago. We have about 100 million people closer to Europe than us with the same manufacturing skills that are willing to get paid 30 pence an hour.

Comment

If devaluing were as good as you say, we'd be forever at it.
                We are.

It has been the standard British response to an economic crisis in the past. The problem is you just can't keep on doing it forever.

Comment

As to what Darling is up to.

He is still quite young for a career politician, 56, and could easily see through another two or three parliaments so I suppose that it is possible that he is trying to rehabilitate his reputation to keep his future career options open.

Comment

No one has any idea of the problem. We are nowhere near anything like the three day week. There would probably be social meltdown well before that. Imagine the current generation putting up with lights out at 10pm. Dear Britannia needs a right good kick up the arse.
                    Last edited by The_Equalizer; 26 March 2010, 00:34.

Comment

Argh... I might just like Darling:

BBC News - Darling concedes cuts could be tougher than 1980s

Comment

Working...
                      X