• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got a Euro mortgage for a property in the UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
    Any debt should be denominated in the same currency of your main income.
    Indeed, look at the number of retirees struggling in Spain with a GBP income and a EUR cost of living now.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Is it a good time to get one? The pound can only go one way shirley?
      I'm curious - which way is the 'only' direction?
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

The Euro was about 1.4 a couple of years ago. So if you wanted a 100k GBP mortgage you'd be looking at borrowing 140k euro. The pound is now about 1.10 so your 100k GBP mortgage would now be 127k GBP
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Lockhouse words of wisdom; Always have the mortgage in the same currency as your rent.
          Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

And income stream.
          I concur. The last thing I want to do is sit in my home worrying about currency fluctuations and whether I can still pay for the place.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm curious - which way is the 'only' direction?
            He wants to buy property valued in GBP and pay for it in EUR, so must mean up (GBP will strengthen relative to EUR).

ETA: all other things (interest rates) being equal (which they might not be).

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Is it a good time to get one? The pound can only go one way shirley?

R4 last week, "economists are expecting the pound to drop to 80p = 1E."
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Who knows where is going to blow up first? It could be the UK, but it could equally be Italy, or Japan, or somewhere completely off the radar.

Comment

did they give any timescales for that? Glad I'm paid in CHF as I'm getting a small pay rise each week at the moment
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

That's interesting because at the moment 89.74p = 1 Euro
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

That's interesting because at the moment 89.74p = 1 Euro
                      boring
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X