• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you think you have free will?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    <<snip>>
    so in evolutionary terms, it pays to believe in free will, plus you get burgled less
    'Belief in ghosts' all the way through to 'seeing faces in clouds' is also an evolutionary advantage. i.e. is that a lion hiding behind the tree and I should leg it.

Doesn't make it correct.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Well, I agree that it pays to practice a belief in free will, but is that the same as really believing in it? In some societies it is beneficial to demonstrate a belief in God, Allah or some other deity, and in fact in some societies it’s dangerous not to demonstrate that belief. However, demonstrating belief and believing are not the same. You can pretend for your own gain or safety, while privately not believing.

I’ll still kick your head in if you try it with Lady Tester though.
      it's too late. long post. nice chops. yum yum . must dash.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        'Belief in ghosts' all the way through to 'seeing faces in clouds' is also an evolutionary advantage. i.e. is that a lion hiding behind the tree and I should leg it.

Doesn't make it correct.
        the brain not working correctly might have certain advantages, but that is irrelevant for this discussion.

if free will exists, it exists despite humans, and even for blind humans

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Free will? Nope, I do as I'm told.

Comment

the brain not working correctly might have certain advantages
            It certainly does on CUK.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

if free will exists, it exists despite humans, and even for blind humans
              And even for a toad, bacteria, a virus, or a strand of amino acids?

To free will proponents, at what stage in animal complexity does free will emerge? In humans only?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                And even for a toad, bacteria, a virus, or a strand of amino acids?

To free will proponents, at what stage in animal complexity does free will emerge? In humans only?
                As I said earlier, you can only ever choose between alternatives of which you are aware. This looks like free will in humans, because the choices of which we are aware are so much greater than those of a bacteria or even a toad.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  As I said earlier, you can only ever choose between alternatives of which you are aware. This looks like free will in humans, because the choices of which we are aware are so much greater than those of a bacteria or even a toad.
                  I sometimes wonder what a toad is thinking about when it's sitting on leaf. It can't all be about flies surely?

Comment

It's all pre-ordained that 9 months in the womb gives them( ) chance to plan it all.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      I sometimes wonder what a toad is thinking about when it's sitting on leaf.
                      - I wish that monkey would stop farting
                      - I hope a fly comes past
                      - where's mrs toad, I fancy some rumpy pumpy,
                      - I hope that's rain falling on my head

Comment

Working...
                      X