• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Previous owner problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    , nobody is going to pull you up for opening his mail.
    And that aint true either. Many years ago as a student we had the same problem. I had a massive argument with a guy on the phone as I had opened the mail and phoned up. He read me the riot act.

About a week later we had the police turn up, who also read us the riot act about tampering with the mail.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      What a stupid comment.

Course it's not worse than identity theft. He's got some mail coming to his house for FFS. He just writes back on the letter, then eventually the loan company gets the message. They dont send baliffs round.

I had my identity stolen 12 months ago. Trust me. It's definitely not worse!
      I meant if they met them and know them, and they have taken out a debt at their place.
      It seemed a bit more personal to me

so what happened to you then ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ity-theft.html

I now have real problems applying for credit. My phone company has cut me off three times in the last four months because everytime my credit record changes it triggers something and their too stupid to notice.

I cant apply for credit cards I get rejected all the time.

Everytime I try and do something the phone rings for a CIFAS check and finally it just took two weeks to go through an FSA check which they initially rejected!!!

The old bill did jack!

Comment

I now have real problems applying for credit. My phone company has cut me off three times in the last four months because everytime my credit record changes it triggers something and their too stupid to notice.

Everytime I try and do something the phone rings for a CIFAS check and finally it just took two weeks to go through an FSA check which they initially rejected!!!

The old bill did jack!
          I spoke to experian this morning about this loan impacting my credit rating.

It doesn't.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

The old bill did jack!
            wow.
            How did they get their hooks in in the first place ?

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The old bill did jack!
              Have you tried contacting experian & equifax and getting your record amended?

I had several addresses I had no knowledge of on mine, they contacted the companies concerned and they removed them, after that things started going a bit smoother.

I also had someone apply for credit in my name and succeed. It was only when the debt collectors came after me that I found out about it.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                wow.
                How did they get their hooks in in the first place ?

Not sure. It was against my old address. Our redirection finished and there must have been a couple of pieces that went through, you know that irritating stuff from banks/credit cards. Doesnt matter that you changed your address everywhere there is always an old piece

The woman who took the place had builders in. I reckon it was one of them as they had keys to her place for a month and all mail went to there. It's just she noticed some and sent it to me. In the end, it was 4 bank accounts and three credit cards. Then someone also went into a PO in London with some ID and paid for a Postal redirection - blocking mine.

Oh I had some fun.

The police reckoned it was because I was a company director though and things like my name, address, job & DOB are public knowledge. There is a website that will let you reverse search an address for LTD companies, tell you the director name and their DOB.

Needless to say. IT has ruined my Credit record. In Norrahes case it's annoying, but it wont affect his credit.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  You might want to write to companies house and explain the situation re: the business address.

I would also consider checking your credit record with equifax, experian etc and if anything about the loan appears contact the reference agency to correct it and they will contact the lender. This will tend to cause notice to be taken, whereas sending mail back often doesn't.

The company isn't listed with companies house, just checked.

If the loan does appear on my credit rating (but according to experian it shouldn't), I will get in touch.

I hope this is a loan from before we bought the place, but the fact this mail has been appearing recently does not inspire me with hope.

Always put return to sender has not lived for "n" years etc... etc... but it has had no impact.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Have you tried contacting experian & equifax and getting your record amended?

I had several addresses I had no knowledge of on mine, they contacted the companies concerned and they removed them, after that things started going a bit smoother.

I also had someone apply for credit in my name and succeed. It was only when the debt collectors came after me that I found out about it.
                    I have been added to a company fraud check called CIFAS. I've been told I have to write to the bank/credit company that added be to this. As I dont know who that is, I have to pay and write to CIFAS as well.

I pay Experian to tell me when my record changes.

Comment

Not sure. It was against my old address. Our redirection finished and there must have been a couple of pieces that went through, you know that irritating stuff from banks/credit cards. Doesnt matter that you changed your address everywhere there is always an old piece

The woman who took the place had builders in. I reckon it was one of them as they had keys to her place for a month and all mail went to there. It's just she noticed some and sent it to me. In the end, it was 4 bank accounts and three credit cards. Then someone also went into a PO in London with some ID and paid for a Postal redirection - blocking mine.

Oh I had some fun.

The police reckoned it was because I was a company director though and things like my name, address, job & DOB are public knowledge. There is a website that will let you reverse search an address for LTD companies, tell you the director name and their DOB.

Needless to say. IT has ruined my Credit record. In Norrahes case it's annoying, but it wont affect his credit.
                      It often starts with those pre-filled application forms that a lot of companies are fond of sending out. They aren't necessarily a company you have dealt with, they just have your details on a mailing list that won't get updated when you move.

Directors names and company addresses are a matter of public record and can be obtained from companies house. A few companies correlate this information and sell it on as marketing material.

Personally, I think both practices ought to be illegal.
                      Last edited by doodab; 6 March 2010, 11:09.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X