• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you do when the money runs out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    If you are unemployed you can claim non-means tested JSA for 6 months - £64 quid a week but better than a kick in the arse.
    Yes but I made the mistake of going with a LLP - self-employed fee earner, no Cat 1 NICs, no JSA...

Another lesson learned...

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
      Absolutely....hence the question, do I need to liquidate the company
      Do you have a wife/partner that you can make joint director? They can then make you redundant.

You can close a company down with a view to reopening at a later date too.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        If you are unemployed you can claim non-means tested JSA for 6 months - £64 quid a week but better than a kick in the arse.
        Make sure you sign on as quickly as possible and don't look after yourself though otherwise you'll get nill. I dipped into savings and sold my flat before I considered signing on. By which time I was not eligible for JSA or any other benefit (having not paid enough NI while being out of work), and because of the equity that was in the sale of the flat also pay full council tax despite having no income. You have to know the system.

Comment

I have a partner yes but I don't see the advantage in her making me redundant.

Yes, I believe that I can make the company 'dormant' or something.

The company does own assets though.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I went savings, bank loan, credit cards, edge of bankrupcy and luckily got a new gig with about a month to spare. I doubt the dole would have made much difference, other than to my sanity, which it would probably have destroyed.

Attack your cost base aggresively straight away, don't wait till you are running low, and what you do have will stretch further. Obvious advice I know but you really do have to question the wisdom of £100 a month mobile bills, sky TV and £50 a week in the pub when you don't have an income.
            Very good advice. As soon as we finish a contract we cut back on food/booze/going out and start doing DIY. There is no point paying someone else to do it while you twiddle your thumbs. Get fit too if you are not, stress will bounce off you when you are fit and you will be in good shape for when the next contract comes along.

Comment

Some good advice here.

If you aren't earning any money, do try to spend less.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
                Very good advice. As soon as we finish a contract we cut back on food/booze/going out and start doing DIY. There is no point paying someone else to do it while you twiddle your thumbs. Get fit too if you are not, stress will bounce off you when you are fit and you will be in good shape for when the next contract comes along.
                Don't woor guys, thanks for that. I have been working around the place nd spending some of my savings on materials. I have just been considering myself 'between' contracts' rather that on the dole but the cash is going fast and although I have had more enquiries about jobs of late, there is nothing more than the odd flash of light at the end of the tunnel

Comment

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/...dev_015482.pdf

Page 23.

You don't have to be made redundant to get jobseekers.

Get down there 1st thing Monday.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If you do a search you will find that RichardCranium and a few others have posted a thread about going on the dole.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You do not have to close down the company. Absolutely no reason why you should. You are wasting money if you do. The fact that you have just finalised your account will also help because they will want to see them.

You don't even have to give yourself a P45. The job centre will do that by default and give you one when you do find work.

It may depend on postcode (i.e. the attitude of your job centre) but they should only be taking into account your personal reserves.

Comment

Working...
                      X