• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Brrrrr Warming affecting shipping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The met office released its report today reaffirming its support for AGW science and warning of the consequences of not acting.

There were two stark assertions in their website, which are interesting.

Sea levels around the uk have risen 10cm in the last hundred and ten years

sea levels around the uk have risen 3 cm in the last ten years

might be worth a scrute

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 5 March 2010, 11:08.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      There were two bald assertions in their website, which are interesting.
      The hairless bastards.
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Weather &lt;&gt; Climate

Jonas Lindvall, the controller of the icebreaking unit at the maritime administration, said sea ice in the area would not normally have been a problem for merchant ships.

However, onshore winds of about 72km/h (45mph) had pushed the ice rapidly towards the coast and created ridges which the merchant ships could not cope with, he said. Icebreakers subsequently had to be deployed by both Sweden and Finland.

"They got caught outside the archipelago, where there is moving ice. It's hard to navigate," Mr Lindvall told the AFP news agency, adding he had not seen so many ships stuck at once since the mid-1980s.

The weather conditions are expected to improve on Friday.
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

sea levels around the uk have risen 3 cm in the last ten years
          Nah, I think the islands are just getting older and like ma dear ol' mam, shrinking with age and osteoporosis.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
            Nah, I think the islands are just getting older and like ma dear ol' mam, shrinking with age and osteoporosis.
            you are missing the scientific point. If there is more water in the sea, ipso facto, there must be less in my beer.

Bring it on the boys from the met office
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
              Scotland is actually rising, while England sinks...probally as a result of all those Scots moving South to civilisation
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

you are missing the scientific point. If there is more water in the sea, ipso facto, there must be less in my beer.
                Ah yes, the Hogsback Uncertainty Principle: beer can neither be created nor consumed without knowing either its relative position on the bar, or its gulping velocity, but not both at the same time.

Probably.
                Last edited by hyperD; 5 March 2010, 12:45. Reason: got my principles muddled up
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Dr Mörner, who for 35 years has been using every known scientific method to study sea levels all over the globe, is that all this talk about the sea rising is nothing but a colossal scare story.

Despite fluctuations down as well as up, "the sea is not rising," he says. "It hasn't risen in 50 years." If there is any rise this century it will "not be more than 10cm (four inches), with an uncertainty of plus or minus 10cm".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...-ever-told.htm
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Scotland is actually rising, while England sinks...probally as a result of all those Scots moving South to bring civilisation
                    FTFY
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Morner could, in his prime, which was arguably when he was president of INQUA Commission on Sea Level Change, have made a legitimate claim to be one of the world's foremost experts on sea level, however he is now retired and as PIB points out, INQUA have had to clarify that he no longer speaks for them and his views are at odd with theirs, and indeed with those of the vast majority of scientists.
                      In his retirement, he seems to fulfil the public stereotype of the eccentric scientist pretty well, spending his spare time out with his dowsing rods
                      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                      X