• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Servicing one’s television set

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    We've got a samsung lcd but I've been reliably informed by my IT/av bod/company secretary that this would suffice
    This is ideal. Tanks!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Does it speak English as well?
      Ummmmm, you’re making things complicated again. **** it, I’ll buy some burgundy instead.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Think about how far away you intend to sit from it. The bigger, the further away you have to sit to not see the pixelation from a non-HD source.

If you go big and 1080 then you have to consider the source - Sky HD and upscaled DVDs, particularly if you sit up close.

I had to sit out in the hallway to not notice the pixelation when we got out 42" Samsung. Slight exaggeration but you don't want to be closer than about 8' with a normal non-HD source.

I would be tempted with a Samsung LED screen if I was buying one today.
        Last edited by OrangeHopper; 2 March 2010, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
          ..........you don't want to be closer than about 8' with a normal non-HD source......
          Slightly confused
          Why would I sit less than 8' from my telly.... if I couldn't sit further away than that my room really wouldn't be big enough for a 50+ (or even 42) inch telly......

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            so 54'' then
            54" would be a quarter of the size.

By the way, don't start fiddling with the old CRT unless you *really* know what you're doing, you could kill yourself.
            Last edited by Scary; 2 March 2010, 20:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              Slightly confused
              Why would I sit less than 8' from my telly.... if I couldn't sit further away than that my room really wouldn't be big enough for a 50+ (or even 42) inch telly......
              We don't all live in mansions.

Some people just think bigger is better. Some people may not actually ask themselves the question whether the television will look ok from all the seats in the living room. Many people will never actually work out how far they do sit from their television. Some people may be going from a small 4x3 to a medium 16x19 which can result in a significant change in screen real estate. Some people may buy the new tele off the internet without talking to a single shop assistant let alone anyone who knows anything about the subject.

I was surprised how much difference a feet in viewing position can make to the acceptability or otherwise of the picture. I suspect it isn't a gradual variation and the brain simply says at some point that it can't see the pixelation.

Comment

I find 32" more than adequate for my enjoyment of Cash in the Attic and The Jeremy Kyle Show.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Some people just think bigger is better. Some people may not actually ask themselves the question whether the television will look ok from all the seats in the living room. Many people will never actually work out how far they do sit from their television. Some people may be going from a small 4x3 to a medium 16x19 which can result in a significant change in screen real estate. Some people may buy the new tele off the internet without talking to a single shop assistant let alone anyone who knows anything about the subject.

I was surprised how much difference a feet in viewing position can make to the acceptability or otherwise of the picture. I suspect it isn't a gradual variation and the brain simply says at some point that it can't see the pixelation.
                  We moved our 42" lcd off the wall and found when viewing at the same level the picture appears much improved. BTW I am constantly and totally amazed by the number of people who insist on watching 4:3 progs in 16:9, apparently oblivious to the wierd looking pictures.

Comment

WHS^

I have a Toshiba 37" and sit 8' away, as soon as I get up I notice blocky pixelation on an SD source yet it looks great when sat down, a 42" or more would have been a big mistake.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Recently bought a Samsung LE37B650, very happy with it (although not including the DLNA dongle is a bit pikey). Had some reservations about getting 37" as it was "too big for the room" but after a few weeks the size seems very ordinary and kind of regret not getting something bigger.

Comment

Working...
                      X