• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC bought on eBay turns up dead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Just raise an ebay \ paypal dispute. Everything is in the buyer's favour now on ebay.

Should have no problem getting a full refund via the disputes procedure. Shouldnt beed SCC.
    ebay \ paypal dispute is useless as I found out to my detriment the other week. Did you purchase the PC on credit card via Paypal, as this should give you claim cover without having to go through the courts ?

Comment

I used my company debit card. Not a credit card. If things do not pan out very well then I prefer the court route which is very easy now it's possible online and usually shakes things up a bit to produce a quick conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        ebay \ paypal dispute is useless as I found out to my detriment the other week. Did you purchase the PC on credit card via Paypal, as this should give you claim cover without having to go through the courts ?
        Surprised by this. They normally take the money out of the seller's account if the buyer says the goods arent any good.

BTW, credit card protection ie Section 75(?) of the Consumer Credit Act doesnt apply when buying via ebay \ paypal so that's no good.

The Small Claims Court will also expect all and every avenue to have been followed before looking at any claim. If you havent, the claim will probably be rejected until you have proved you have tried all avenues.

This needs to be sorted by ebay \ paypal.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Surprised by this. They normally take the money out of the seller's account if the buyer says the goods arent any good.

BTW, credit card protection ie Section 75(?) of the Consumer Credit Act doesnt apply when buying via ebay \ paypal so that's no good.

The Small Claims Court will also expect all and every avenue to have been followed before looking at any claim. If you havent, the claim will probably be rejected until you have proved you have tried all avenues.

This needs to be sorted by ebay \ paypal.
          I'm not sure you're right on the bit I bolded, in the past I've initiated a chargeback on an eBay purchase. Paypal is just another cards acquisition service. Unfortunately a debit card doesn't (I believe) have the same protection as a credit card even though it's probably got a Visa symbol on it.

eBay complaints procedure is better than it was assuming that the seller refuses to sort stuff out to your satisfaction.

Small claims as Bolsie has said will expect you to have pursued all reasonable avenues to gain satisfaction so keep good records.

Comment

My sister raised a dispute with Paypal over fake goods purchased with her credit card, not via eBay but via some dodgy site (she's not particularly internet savvy).
            Paypal said that seller can prove goods were dispatched so she needed to send them back and get refund that way and closed dispute.
            Can't send them back because the site's refund and contact links just point you to the legitimate company's phone number etc, which obviously is no good.
            Sister did a chargeback on the credit card, got her money back.
            Now the credit card co want the money back from Paypal. Paypal have therefore suspended her account until she reimburses the money she got back from the credit card co!!

After all that, my point is that doing a chargeback on your credit card if you paid via Paypal is not as foolproof as it may sound, especially if a Paypal dispute hasn't gone your way in the first place. You would be better off paying directly with your credit card, if you ever want to use your Paypal account again.

I know this has nothing to do with the original question, but it is relevant to some replies...

Comment

In conclusion.
              I raised an Ebay resolution thingy and eBay ruled in my favour.
              I did consider rejecting the Ebay offer of me paying for the postage of sending the system back to the seller ( about £70 - it's heavy ) and taking the seller to court to teach the little so and so a lesson not to sell dodgy goods on Ebay but thought better of it and accepted my "fine".
              - Shame, I've just won two other court cases. This would have made it three in a row.
              So, If you live in London and sold a dodgy Sun system to someone in Bristol then consider yourself as having a close call and your piece of junk will be with you shortly.

Comment

Working...
              X