• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Both parties are trying to 'lose' in a hung parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Actually, in a hung parliament the sitting PM remains in post until it is proven that someone else can form a workable majority, alone or in partnership with another party. We don't lose Gay Gorgon just becuiase he lost the election - which is a bit of a depressing thought...
    Imagine that.

A Prime Minister who was not appointed by a public vote, was not endorsed by a public vote and who could not be removed by a public vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      I never considered that Brown would try and engineer a tory minority government, but it makes sense for him.
      While it is a nice idea for a moment, practically, I don't think that it is possible for anyone to engineer a general election result to that degree of precision.

Comment

If there's ever an election worth losing, then this one is it...

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          While it is a nice idea for a moment, practically, I don't think that it is possible for anyone to engineer a general election result to that degree of precision.
          Agreed, but whether by intention or not, the Tories are certainly heading in that direction

Comment

It would be interesting to speculate what would happen if Gordon won the election outright, without a hung parliament, as unlikely as that is. What would happen to Sterling (immediate crash?), would he implement the savage cuts that many believe believe are necessary? Would we soon be doomed? And given the position we are in, would it be much better under the Tories?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              It would be interesting to speculate what would happen if Gordon won the election outright, without a hung parliament, as unlikely as that is. What would happen to Sterling (immediate crash?), would he implement the savage cuts that many believe believe are necessary? Would we soon be doomed? And given the position we are in, would it be much better under the Tories?
              He'd appoint Ed Balls as chancellor, and there'd be a run on sterling within days, no wait, within _a_ day.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                He'd appoint Ed Balls as chancellor, and there'd be a run on sterling within days, no wait, within _a_ day.
                I'm not so certain a run on Sterling won't happen sooner than that. Mind you, I'm a bit jumpy because most of my savings are still in £ in a UK bank.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  He would have to.

It will be a condition of borrowing money from the IMF once the financial markets no longer support the government deficit.

The same thing happened to Callaghan / Healey in the seventies.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    WHS
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I can't imagine that any government has been handed such a poisoned chalice before. Not just because of how bad things are likely to become reality shortly after election and after the phony recession ends, but because I don't feel the population appreciate that. Most people think the recession is over, I feel.

Comment

Working...
                      X