• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immigration programme on telly last night

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    hour long advertisement

What was it advertising ?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      These people mostly aren't interested in an education, they are paid to stay at home. Until you change that then immigrant labour is here to stay.
      While I don't disagree with the principal of what you are saying I think this is grossly oversimplifying the problem/solution

Case to point, look to the US, virtually no Government backed safety net yet still loads of immigrants doing the cheap labour no one else wants to do while the have a reasonble sized amount of population that has been unemployed for years

What do the uneducated “don’t want to work” types that we are talking about over there do when they don’t get dole money? Turn to crime and drugs in a big way or just live on the street (and generally still turn to crime)

Some people just don’t want to get a “job” no matter what you do

The “dole” is not the problem, it’s just a symptom.

The problem is how these people are raised, educated and the environment they live in, until that is dealt with taking away the dole would just create new problems we could do without

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        What was it advertising ?
        Labour's mass immigration policy.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Labour's mass immigration policy.
          It didn't advertise it very well then. I think the crux of the program was to point out we have a big problem with a badly educated welfare supported underclass and that mass immigration wasn't solving the problem but actually adding to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
            While I don't disagree with the principal of what you are saying I think this is grossly oversimplifying the problem/solution

Case to point, look to the US, virtually no Government backed safety net yet still loads of immigrants doing the cheap labour no one else wants to do while the have a reasonble sized amount of population that has been unemployed for years

What do the uneducated “don’t want to work” types that we are talking about over there do when they don’t get dole money? Turn to crime and drugs in a big way or just live on the street (and generally still turn to crime)

Some people just don’t want to get a “job” no matter what you do

The “dole” is not the problem, it’s just a symptom.

The problem is how these people are raised, educated and the environment they live in, until that is dealt with taking away the dole would just create new problems we could do without

What's about paying a fair market wage? There would be no shortage of workers if the pay was fair. As well as getting away with paying less than fair wages, employers taking the piece are subsidised by the tax payer in the form of council tax rebates, tax credits, etc, given to the underpaid workers.

Comment

Can anyone remember how much they were being paid to pick the Asparagus?

I did a quick mental Math at the time & it worked out workers were being paid about 6p per bunch. Which would mean a 50% increase for this slave labour work would attract enthusiastic brit workers and only cost an extra 3p per bunch of asparagus.

ASDA Price £1 per bunch.

We all know that the ASDA/Walmart of this world charge the MAX they can for products ie. nothing to do with cost price.

Take Potatoes at 37p per pound in ASDA, I can buy a Sack from the Veggie shop at 7p lb. Assuming ASDA pay 5p per lb thats a wacking 650% Markup for the British Staple!!!

If this isn't a Rip-Off then nothing is.

If ALL the UK Farmers had to charge a little bit more would they ALL go out of Business as they are so keen to tell us? OR would ASDA have to reduce their Margin a little bit?

The BBC Programme was little more than Propaganda, they had hundreds of applicants & the ones they chose, well, 3 out of 4 as no shows on the first day says it all really.

Wake Up People. The Walmarts of this world own .gov, BBC & control immigration policy - anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                There's no quick fix to that problem. Way back in the early 1800s Robert Owen's New Lanark experiment attempted to address exactly those problems.

Comment

Originally posted by GWilliy View Post
                  Can anyone remember how much they were being paid to pick the Asparagus?

I did a quick mental Math at the time & it worked out workers were being paid about 6p per bunch. Which would mean a 50% increase for this slave labour work would attract enthusiastic brit workers and only cost an extra 3p per bunch of asparagus.

ASDA Price £1 per bunch.

We all know that the ASDA/Walmart of this world charge the MAX they can for products ie. nothing to do with cost price.

Take Potatoes at 37p per pound in ASDA, I can buy a Sack from the Veggie shop at 7p lb. Assuming ASDA pay 5p per lb thats a wacking 650% Markup for the British Staple!!!

If this isn't a Rip-Off then nothing is.

If ALL the UK Farmers had to charge a little bit more would they ALL go out of Business as they are so keen to tell us? OR would ASDA have to reduce their Margin a little bit?

The BBC Programme was little more than Propaganda, they had hundreds of applicants & the ones they chose, well, 3 out of 4 as no shows on the first day says it all really.

Wake Up People. The Walmarts of this world own .gov, BBC & control immigration policy - anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

It makes me laugh how some supermarkets push 'fair trade' products yet they screw indigenous farmers down so much that the only way they can make their business pay is to employ casual migrant workers who are probably working harder than cotton picking slaves. Lets be honest they aren't going to be much better off than slaves, the migrants must be living 10 to a room and living off cold baked beans to make it worth their while.

I'd happily pay 3p more for bunch of Asparagus if it meant people could afford to work but you can bet your bottom dollar that the farmer and his workers wouldn't see any of it.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    ... I'd happily pay 3p more for bunch of Asparagus if it meant people could afford to work but you can bet your bottom dollar that the farmer and his workers wouldn't see any of it.
                    It's the same with milk. Apparently dozens of dairy farms are closing every month in this country, because farmers just can't make it compete with milk the supermarkets import.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I've often been tempted to try to sit down and work out what would happen to supermarket pricing if all UK farmers in a concerted action refused to supply to them on the basis of the current - unsustainable, lower-than-cost-to-produce - pricing.

The mark up on foodstuffs as a poster above has noted are near-criminal in their extent. 600% as is expressed above is not, I believe, uncommon and even when you factor in the fixed and variable costs that the supermarkets have (buildings and staff etc) the profits made by them are still astronomical.

I wonder if this is a scenario that the s'markets have considered?

Comment

Working...
                      X