• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Warming - Scientific evidence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Rather than mining the odd quote from the Press and pretending it is 'what scientists were saying'... why not see if anyone has done a review of what scientists were writing in the academic journals? I wonder if such a thing exists?
    Well, you have to look at it from our point of view. We all agree now that scientific papers are generally sterile and neutral, its the spin and the agenda you have to watch out for--

and we have had decades of scares, horror stories, u turns, hoop jumping, Gore fantasies etc

you have to forgive us if we sometimes say - please guys just give us a year off

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

"How Earth Made Us" (Tuesday BBC2) thrusts forward the proposition that farming prevented an ice age, presumably thousands of years ago, tonight. I don't know what the scientific consensus is on this proposition or weather (pun) the latest and badest climate models agree with it though.

First link I found on the issue
      Last edited by TimberWolf; 23 February 2010, 19:31.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        "How Earth Made Us" (Tuesday BBC2) thrusts forward the proposition that farming prevented an ice age, presumably thousands of years ago, tonight. I don't know what the scientific consensus is on this proposition or weather (pun) the latest and badest climate models agree with it though.

First link I found on the issue
        Just been watching that - got terribly bored by the dumbed down presentation and unintelligible Scottish accent of the presenter.Switched off after <10 mins
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

A Serious Work of Scholarly Research.

....The US senates minority report on "Climategate"

To save people some time, here is the shorter version: "Some scientists behaved unethically, we know this because we read it in the Daily Mail." (References Daily Mail:1 MailOnline:4, clearly a serious work of scholarship).

But while we are over at the US Senate, here's a fun game. Click here for an earlier such report on '700 prominent sceptical scientists', noting the subheading 'Over 700 dissenting scientists (updates previous 650 report) from around the globe challenged man-made global warming claims made by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and former Vice President Al Gore.'

Now search for this considered scientific opinion :-

I'm sure we are contributing to globalwarming, and we must do all we can to reduce that, but our climate has always changed. The Romans had vineyards in Yorkshire. We're all on this bandwagon of ‘Ban the 4x4 in Fulham'. Why didn't we have global warming during the Industrial Revolution?

A weighty contribution to the debate, I am sure you will agree, though given that this particular 'international scientist' thinks we should be acting to reduce GW, I am not sure that 'sceptical' is quite accurate.

Now check the name of this 'international scientist'. Yep, it is Alan Titchmarsh! (although they didn't even get his name correct). To the Minority Commitee Staff our cuddly TV Gardener and popular novelist qualifies as an international scientist. Who knew! You see what they did there? Whack a few hundred such media quotes from TV Gardeners, Weathermen, film-makers &c together, mix in a tiny bit of real science and push out a 'report' with an attention-grabbing headline.

This is what passes for scholarship in The US Senate EPW Minority Commitee, and the US Taxpayer is funding it - now THAT is a scandal.
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Just been watching that - got terribly bored by the dumbed down presentation and unintelligible Scottish accent of the presenter.Switched off after <10 mins
            His yellow teeth put me off a bit. What's going on there?

Comment

Does this conversation remind anyone else of a situation where some adults are having a conversation and a small child is running around screaming and generally acting like a turd and seeking attention?
              This turd then insists on awarding a 'victory' to one of the adults and laughing at his own posts.

Nice work pjclarke and BlasterBates, shame you had to put up with the child trying to wreck your debate.

Comment

Looks like a lot of reading to catch up on. Isn't scepticism a fundamental part of the empirical method?
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Is the debate over now?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Is the debate over now?
                    Yes.

We found the proof.

Here it is.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by David Cameron View Post
                      Does this conversation remind anyone else of a situation where some adults are having a conversation and a small child is running around screaming and generally acting like a turd and seeking attention?
                      This turd then insists on awarding a 'victory' to one of the adults and laughing at his own posts.

Nice work pjclarke and BlasterBates, shame you had to put up with the child trying to wreck your debate.
                      Shut it you toffee-nosed twunt.
                      You're too stupid to work out who's trolling, who's passing the time and who's serious.

HTH
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X