• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Days off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think most of those options could be done in the rain.

Wind was closest - paragliding.

Comment

no, the clue must be in his moniker. oversteer

oversteer, weather related mmmmmm

ok how many letters ?

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 15 February 2010, 16:48. Reason: doh! too slow
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        no, the clue must be in his moniker. oversteer

oversteer, weather related mmmmmm

ok how many letters ?

Duck shagging?

Comment

If it's a deadline driven gig, taking time off when the weather suits should'nt (in principle) be a problem. Provided you hit the deadline (even if it means working nights or weekends) and the time sheet signer doesnt mind.

In practice, I think you will find most are not happy.

Whereabouts do you go to do your stuff ?

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            If it's a deadline driven gig, taking time off when the weather suits should'nt (in principle) be a problem. Provided you hit the deadline (even if it means working nights or weekends) and the time sheet signer doesnt mind.

In practice, I think you will find most are not happy.

Whereabouts do you go to do your stuff ?

Wherever the "Coast is clear"...

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
              I think most of those options could be done in the rain.

Wind was closest - paragliding.
              I'm the winner
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
                I pursue a weather-dependent hobby which means the ability to take days off at short notice is valuable to me.

Is this likely to result in a rapid canning of a role, or are some clientco's a bit more tolerant? Obviously if deadlines need to be met then so be it ..

Incidentally is it always the case that holidays / sick days are "lost" or do some companies extend by the missed days?
                British agencies, and usually clients, whose expectations are conditioned by the agencies, regard contractors as misbehaving and troublesome temps. They expect you to behave as a type of employee.

It is not so everywhere: in Germany for example I have worked without a contract, just a Purchase Order. This would specify a number of days work, and a period within which they should be done. Mine have more or less matched full-time work, but I had a colleague who had a Purchase Order for 36 days work in a 3-month period. This corresponds roughly to 3 days a week, but it was up to him to arrange the days of work. Of course, his work had to be satisfactory, but that was seen as a business question, not an employment question.

As for whether the days not worked are "lost" or "added at the end", it does indeed depend. As a rule of thumb, if your contract is for a certain period they would normally be lost, and if it is for a number of days work, they would still be worked.
                Step outside posh boy

Comment

Yeah, I'd figured British jealousies would fit into it at some point.

I guess it depends on the company, some of the media companies I've worked at have been very relaxed - a culture of covering up hangovers, I guess. Maybe a question to ask at the interview stage..

Comment

Working...
                  X