• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Venison

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      Doh!
      A deer!

Comment

I think we're getting stuck in a rut.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Morning!

Venison goes well with winter veg, parsnips, swede, celariac, beetroot and squash. If you are using beetroot go easy as too much can overpower any dish.
          Roast spiced pears (cinnamon, cloves or mulling spices) are nice as well.

You can also do a spiced red cabbage.

Port or redcurrant will add a nice kick to a jus/gravy. Add a hint of rosemary or juniper.

You could finish the sauce off with a small hint of chocolate, to give the sauce some gloss and slight sweetness (use 99%).

Do not even think of cooking it anything other than pink, and make sure to rest it.

Carpaccio is very nice, but you would need to ensure you've got a nice piece of fillet.

Wines - depending on the sauce:
          Syrah or Riserva rioja - complement spices
          Bordeaux - herb port jus and earthy vegetables
          Or possibly a burgundy, but it would have be one at the higher end such as nuits-saint-georges etc....
          You can go for new world, but avoid anything too heavily oaked
          A barolo, chianti or montepulciano are good if you fancy Italian (anything from tuscan vinyards are good, as they do like their game in that region).
          You said it better than I did, port and redcurrant are ideal. I couldn't agree more.

Mind you you're far better qualified to give good advice on this.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            I think we're getting stuck in a rut.
            Then we'd better buck our ideas up.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Roast spiced pears (cinnamon, cloves or mulling spices) are nice as well.

You can also do a spiced red cabbage.
              Mmm... lovely. The pears cut into halves rather than slices and you can put a bit of cranberry jam/jelly in the hollow the core came out of. I'll suggest the odd cooked chestnut or two as well.

A nice alternative to spuds is Spaeztli if you can get it.

I think I'm going to hit the shops now
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

A nice alternative to spuds is Spaeztli if you can get it.

Or you could try gnocchi or gnudi, with some thyme in them or a butternut squash ravioli.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Then we'd better buck our ideas up.
                  I should, but my hart's not in it.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    I should, but my hart's not in it.
                    Oh deer!

Comment

Seems to me there are two kinds of venison, farmed and wild. Venison from an animal that has spent its life running up and down mountains is tougher and needs longer to cook, farmed venison not.
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X