• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU comes to Greece's rescue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darling says there are no plans to use UK taxpayers' money to bail out Greece, but personally I doubt if Brown will be able to resist such a juicy opportunity to throw a staggering amount of our money at a single currency that we didn't even join, to put us and our children even more in debt for longer. This might be his last big chance.
    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
      Darling says there are no plans to use UK taxpayers' money to bail out Greece, but personally I doubt if Brown will be able to resist such a juicy opportunity to throw a staggering amount of our money at a single currency that we didn't even join, to put us and our children even more in debt for longer. This might be his last big chance.
      Brown seems to be of the opinion that they sort it out themselves or get the IMF in, making the quite valid point that us and the rest of the G20 already pledged funds to the IMF for just this sort of situation.

The EU don't want that cos the little french fellow with the hot wife doesn't like the head of the IMF.

Or something.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Brown seems to be of the opinion that they sort it out themselves or get the IMF in, making the quite valid point that us and the rest of the G20 already pledged funds to the IMF for just this sort of situation.

The EU don't want that cos the little french fellow with the hot wife doesn't like the head of the IMF.

Or something.
        The USA doesn't get the IMF in, does it? So the EU can't get the IMF in, or its currency will look less imposing.
        Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          is this going to send the euro up or down?
          Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Dirty spekulant!!! Turn yourself into the nearest police station ze now!

Euro is down by the way - just as well my EUR trades are all short
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Give it time...
            Originally posted by Jog On View Post

Euro is down by the way - just as well my EUR trades are all short
            GBP lost around 2% against EUR in the last couple of weeks...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Didn't pounds used to be worth €1.50?
              yes, but that was over 2 years ago, now

1 British pound = 1.13129039 Euros

according to google, which on average for the last few months that's been about the norm
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                GBP lost around 2% against EUR in the last couple of weeks...
                I'm short on GBP as well
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  I'm short on GBP as well
                  I'm short on pretty well everything
                  Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
                    I'm short on pretty well everything
                    Been long on the Aussie all week - woke up this morning and it was like Christmas all over again

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                      yes, but that was over 2 years ago, now

1 British pound = 1.13129039 Euros

according to google, which on average for the last few months that's been about the norm
                      Yeah I was really just pointing out that 2% here or there isn't a big deal compared to the rather dramatic decline in the value of sterling at the end of 2008. I reckon €1.12 - €1.15 is the new trading range, you won't see a significant long term movement away from that until the recovery begins in earnest and interest rates start going up.

The PIIGS have been stuffed for ages, that's been priced into the market already IMO, no one seriously expects a default from an EU member state.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X