• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Schooling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On one of my first jobs they taught me in excruciating detail how to use a 'Pilot ballon slide rule'.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Did anyone here use a slide rule in earnest? I remember being taught to use log tables at school, although I just caught the end of that as calculators were available, but not able to be used in exams. Although come t think of it, by the time exams did come up, calculators were allowed. Or maybe I'm mixing them not being allowed at 'O'' level and being allowed at 'A' level.
      Still have my log tables book complete with graffiti. Used slide rule (now lost) in O’ level course but not exam in 60s.

Also did technical drawing, metalwork (lathe forge etc)
      German and optional Russian languages.
      Do kids do that at 12+ years these days?
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Still have my log tables book complete with graffiti. Used slide rule (now lost) in O’ level course but not exam in 60s.

Also did technical drawing, metalwork (lathe forge etc)
        German and optional Russian languages.
        Do kids do that at 12+ years these days?
        I've still got the compass I used in TD (technical drawing) classes. I suspect I would have kept the slide rule if I'd ever owned one, so they were perhaps handed out in lessons or something. Not sure about log books, but I don't have any now.

Maths was quite advanced at (a good) primary school (Alpha and Beta books, anyone remember those?), but at comprehensive we did 'SMP maths' which was useless.

Comment

I used to have a slide rule. Aristo Scholar, good basic model, cost 21s.

There is one on ebay right now, closing 4h, no bids, £6. Hasn't held its value against inflation.
          Last edited by Tarquin Farquhar; 4 February 2010, 16:31.
          Step outside posh boy

Comment

My maths teacher was an astronomy buff.
            He was very easy to side track and the stuff he knew was interesting and informative.

best education I ever had

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I got taught the Trachtenberg system of basic maths when I was at school.

Im still astounded that such a simple system is not universally taught in every school around the world.

For those that are not familiar with the system: http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.trachten.html

PZZ

Comment

I still have my old Jeppeson circular slide rule a retired Hurricane pilot gave me when I started learning to fly in 1976.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                X