• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I will never learn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Hence, use reliable messengering protocols whereby message will be resent with a new messenger until it succeeds...

quite frankly - one of your bests posts here

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
      I have boots that have been too big for so long I'm thinking of getting some bigger feet.

is that you Mr Prescott?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        .......financial impact and is causing them lots of grief...
        .......Yours truly investigated the issue, found the root cause, and documented a proposed solution for the developers to chew over.....

.......PM has demanded they implement my fix 'as is'.......
        .......Programme manager has kicked off wanting hourly updates of progress with SY01's fix........

I should have kept my PI Insurance upto date!!!. Silly bugger.

Oh SY1... SY1...... Good luck with that!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Does your job spec include proposing a solution? If not, and the solution doesn't cut it (or the developers have botched its implementation), perhaps you would have been better off not mentioning it.
          You're right of course. In which case nothing would have been done.
          When is it ok to take the initiative?

Fix worked well btw.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Only when you're absolutely certain she isn't going to scream. You may still receive a polite "no" though.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

sounds to me like an undocumented, expected feature, masquerading as a bug.

The devs have never heard of this "thing" before, and want it formally spec'd, however small it may be.

SY01, you will be looking good as all the PM types will be saying "yeah, just do what SY01 says, easy fix" etc, SY01 has a can-do attitude blah blah.

It's all good when it works easily, but when it doesn't, watch out! You'll have managers in your face bawling at you, wanting you to account for your every minute etc.

Comment

Testers could not reproduce.
                HTH
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You're right of course. In which case nothing would have been done.

Only when you do all the hard work and then make it look like the answer was all down to your pointless bollock juggling manager.

Trying to make yourself look good will only scare them into sacking you.....

probably

good work on the fix btw.

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post

quite frankly - one of your bests posts here
                    Ok, I admit - it was better than average post from me

Comment

Originally posted by NeverBeenNorthOfTheM25 View Post
                      .. and do you know how many times Ive developed a 'quick fix' on the basis of something a Project Manager has told me to do, then when its gone up petals up, the PM has turned around and gone ..... no I meant to do it this way, not that way ..... and of course because there was no documentation ....

The developers are well within their rights to cover his a..e in case you change the goalposts later on when it all goes wrong .... sorry, but its true.
                      It's a quick fix in terms of it won't take long to do. It is however the right thing to do. It's not a 'quick and dirty' hack. I don't really approve of those.

Given that they have inherited the system from another team of developers and significant handover and training effort was given the business is agrieved at their lack of understanding.

I couldn't care less. Numptiess is numpties. I get paid a day rate no matter what I do. In this case ClientCo is relieved someone took the initiative

So in this case alls well that ends well. It would have been a different story if it had gone tits up though.
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X