• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Constellation Program Axed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    you need something to inspire.
    Perhaps most Americans would be more inspired by subsidised health care than by grainy pictures of Buzz Aldrin III collecting samples of Mars rock?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      Link

Can't help but feel a little sad about this. As someone who grew up at the time of the original moon landings I've always been fascinated by space exploration & was quite excited about man going back to the moon and later on to Mars. Doubt I'll be seeing any of that happen in my lifetime now; thought perhaps the private sector or the Chinese will rise to the challenge.
      Me too. I watched them all on TV and looked forward to the planets and maybe even beyond in my lifetime. Now I don't think I will live to see it.

This will put it so far back that I am not even sure that the USA will ever do it now. By the time they get to looking at the idea of manned spaceflight again, they may not be the world's biggest economy.

The US-USSR rivalry prompted the Space Race, and there is anothe one coming up, but it will be between India and China. India will do manned spaceflight in this decade. China certainly won't stand still in a field with so much military importance.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

That's bollocks - this program cost maybe 2% of the bank bailout and far less than banks will pay in bonuses this year alone.

Obama is making a mistake - Kennedy would have never done this: you need something to inspire.

Agreed. This is one of the few things I think governments SHOULD spend money on; humankind taking the next big step.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I think american space programme should be funded by united nations. The whole of humanity will benefit from space exploration.
          We should send oxygen producing bacteria to mars to make it habitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            Sounds great in theory, but what happens if they produce too much and Mars catches fire, or something.

Remember, you can have too much of a good thing

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Sounds great in theory, but what happens if they produce too much and Mars catches fire, or something.

Remember, you can have too much of a good thing

WGAS? It's far enough away not to matter...

(Just like Australia... )

Comment

Obama is making a mistake - Kennedy would have never done this: you need something to inspire.

What do you expect? Sounds like the guy is practically a Marxist, with all his health care nonsense.

All he had to do was legislate to limit medical liabilities and get greedy lawyers off the doctors' backs.

(or wait a few years until robot medics and nurses become practical)
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                  What would they produce it from? The atmosphere is only 1% as dense as earth's, no better than a vacuum to most animal life.

We need to take oxygen pills, like Steve Zodiac.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    What would they produce it from? The atmosphere is only 1% as dense as earth's, no better than a vacuum to most animal life.

We need to take oxygen pills, like Steve Zodiac.
                    Sulfates found in the soil...

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      In my opinion, it has to be done in this strict order

main base
                      eco-hab level 1
                      research level 1
                      research lasers
                      Laser defence tower level 1
                      Agro-comp level 1
                      Workshop
                      small factory
                      Research terraforming
                      Terra form level 1
                      research Atmospheric control